Evans Cycles - New Durham Shop Opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
@awomaninsane - try to stretch your budget if you can. £260 is not a lot for the number of components on the bike and the job you are expecting them to do. If you can spend more, you won't be wanting a better bike or upgrading bits quite so quickly.

stephec

Legendary Member
I want to have a look at some point, it will be my first visit to a Decathlon.

A higher end shop nearby is Team Cycles, which I think has only been open for a couple of years.

Go Outdoors at Portrack Lane in Stockton has a banner about an extended cycling department, so it looks like they are pushing that side of the business.

http://www.teamcycles.com/
Decathlon's great, if you're not a brand name snob there's plenty of decent kit in there.

I've got both running and cycling clothing from there that works just as well as more expensive stuff.

I'd imagine as with all chains peoples impressions of them will be based on the individuals in the particular branch they use, I'm lucky having the Bolton and Stockport branches close by.

alicat

Legendary Member
Not sure how far you are from Newcastle. Edinburgh are a good outfit and may be able to let you have a test ride if you ring to check they have one in stock.

I'm 5'5'' too and normally ride a 50 or a 52.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Decathlon's great, if you're not a brand name snob there's plenty of decent kit in there.

I've got both running and cycling clothing from there that works just as well as more expensive stuff.

I'd imagine as with all chains peoples impressions of them will be based on the individuals in the particular branch they use, I'm lucky having the Bolton and Stockport branches close by.

No brand name snob me.

I could just about afford to be in monetary terms, but the sizing of Rapha and the like rules me out.

Back to the diet.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Not sure how far you are from Newcastle. Edinburgh are a good outfit and may be able to let you have a test ride if you ring to check they have one in stock.

I'm 5'5'' too and normally ride a 50 or a 52.
Edinburgh Bike do test rides - I think they may keep your credit card as a hostage :smile:

Their Revolution brand tends to be good value for money too.

alicat

Legendary Member
Edinburgh Cycle Coop should be good at assessing your needs and helping you find the right bike for you.

I did a cycle maintenance course with them about seven years ago and was impressed with their set up. I've had a workstand and a couple of mini track pumps from them. They are a coop - funny that - so I have no axe to grind.

Good luck finding a bike that suits and fits you.

Top Bottom