Evans 'Silver Service'- costly estimate, thoughts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Basic complete (I mean complete) Bell cable kit from Asda for £4!!!

I used this on my commuter, good value for money - But note there are some short cuts taken to get it down to this price. Primarily the cable outers aren't plastic lined, meaning you have to grease them and they're not quite as smooth as more expensive cables, although they still work perfectly well.

Secondly, the gear outers aren't compression-less cable - They're actually just brake outer, so indexed shifting may not be as snappy as you'd like. The kit is perfect for use on a workhorse commuter bike but possibly not your Sunday best!

That said the kit does also come with a good selection of ferrules, cable ends, and even the little metal cable stop for old non-aero road levers!

Don't use Evans. I bought my bike from them and from day one have had nothing but awful service from them. I would never step foot in an Evans store again.

Kookas

Über Member
Don't use Evans. I bought my bike from them and from day one have had nothing but awful service from them. I would never step foot in an Evans store again.

I wouldn't be so harsh. I went in two weeks back to borrow a spoke key to tighten a very loose spoke. The spoke key gave me no troubles and got the job done. No clue about the staff, though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've only been to Evans three times, once to buy quality lights and got good advice on a subject I know little of. Other two times was to buy and then return a Garmin as I couldn't get on with it. No quibbles at all.

The OP infers, to me, this the only serious maintenance the cycle has received in three years. The annual equivalent is £65 or £1.25 / week. I leave my bike with my LBS (been a regular for 20 years) once a year for a full service, £20 plus parts - the relationship I have is such the LBS will just do the work unless they think it needs my decision, new wheels, cassette for example.

It's a commuter bike inferring its used in all weathers etc. increasing the need for good maintenance. At £65 per annum the OP's travel cost is £1.25 / week!! What's the issue?

Taking in to consideration all the minor bits and bobs and ignoring major costs I'm sure I easily spend over £65 per annum on the bike.

The issue is created by the OP ignoring the need for regular, at least annual, maintenance.

The real questions are will Evans do a good job and why did they refuse to do only a part of the work? £195 seems very reasonable when looked at in perspective.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's a commuter bike inferring its used in all weathers etc. increasing the need for good maintenance. At £65 per annum the OP's travel cost is £1.25 / week!! What's the issue?

£195 seems very reasonable when looked at in perspective.

The issue is that it can be done much cheaper by going down other routes. Evans are attempting to fleece the OP..

Even better, though, would be getting a local CCer to come and have a look over your bike at home, and teach you how to maintain it. I'm almost local (10km away), but I'm out of town this weekend, I'm afraid.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Had a couple of bits done to it in the past three years. Mainly replacing brake blocks and realignments. This month though I have the MOT and would like to have both road and mountain bike serviced also. MTB especially as I have an off-road duathlon in Feb. If Evans were more reasonable, it could have been good business for them.

The Hybrid's the middle bike, the runaround if you will- the only bike I'll comfortably lock up in public. We have been through a lot and it's performed very well. Not prepared to fork out circa £200 however... just want something functional.

Rang the fixing place yesterday and the bloke answering the phone didn't say 'Good afternoon Evans etc' - guessing it is a third party. Makes sense if their service is in high demand. Do like to speak face-to-face with person doing the fix however, generates a bit more trust. Plus if they're doing replacements I don't know exactly which parts they'll be implementing, it may be a downgrade on the original for all I'd know.

Rejected the quote and when picking it up later I'll ask whether they'll sort the brakes out in store and maybe pop a new chain on. If not, it's the LBS. For the long term I'll certainly look into becoming competent at tweaking and installing new parts myself.

Thanks for the feedback and advice cyclechatters!

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Even better, though, would be getting a local CCer to come and have a look over your bike at home, and teach you how to maintain it. I'm almost local (10km away), but I'm out of town this weekend, I'm afraid.

Nice, will definitely check out Apex in future. Might have to take you up on the maintenance tips!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Rejected the quote and when picking it up later I'll ask whether they'll sort the brakes out in store and maybe pop a new chain on.

Speaking from previous experience, if the chain is worn then the cassette will be too (assuming they are both the same age). New chains do not run well on worn cassettes, so if replacing one it is a good idea to replace both.

Just remembered a conversation with a service guy at Evans, as he was listing things that needed replacement:
Him: ... jockey wheels
Me: No, they're new.
Him: Who replaced them?
Me: I did
Him: Oh. <goes on with rest of list>

I expected him to explain how I did it wrong, and they'd worn prematurely - which seemed likely, but no, I think they were trying to do unnecessary work.

BTW, this was after I'd brought in my bike for a safety check after a collision which destroyed the front wheel. It was all cassette/chain/jockey wheel, no comment on the forks or frame or the front part of the bike at all, except "you need a new wheel" - duh.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Please get a list of what they wanted to do for quote.

I am really crap at DIY type stuff but ploughed through all jobs on my bike the only thing I have not serviced or replaced now are wheel hubs, not sure I ever will I seem to wear the rim out first..

With help from You Tube, Cycle Chat and the internet it makes mistakes minimal and if you do make a cock up, you learn from it!

Crankarm

Guru
Had a couple of bits done to it in the past three years. Mainly replacing brake blocks and realignments. This month though I have the MOT and would like to have both road and mountain bike serviced also. MTB especially as I have an off-road duathlon in Feb. If Evans were more reasonable, it could have been good business for them.

The Hybrid's the middle bike, the runaround if you will- the only bike I'll comfortably lock up in public. We have been through a lot and it's performed very well. Not prepared to fork out circa £200 however... just want something functional.

Rang the fixing place yesterday and the bloke answering the phone didn't say 'Good afternoon Evans etc' - guessing it is a third party. Makes sense if their service is in high demand. Do like to speak face-to-face with person doing the fix however, generates a bit more trust. Plus if they're doing replacements I don't know exactly which parts they'll be implementing, it may be a downgrade on the original for all I'd know.

Rejected the quote and when picking it up later I'll ask whether they'll sort the brakes out in store and maybe pop a new chain on. If not, it's the LBS. For the long term I'll certainly look into becoming competent at tweaking and installing new parts myself.

Thanks for the feedback and advice cyclechatters!

Bike maintenance is easy. If you can't change brake blocks then I suggest you learn pretty quick as your ignorance will cost you dearly. Bikes are NOT complicated. A basic tool set is not that costly.

Top Bottom