Evans V Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I bought some new shoes today and had very different experiences from two retailers.

First up was Evans at the MetroCentre, Gateshead.

I arrived in good time and was probably the only customer in the shop.

There was some eye contact from the staff, but no one spoke.

I made my way to the shoe display and tried on a couple in my size.

Inevitably, there were some models of interest on show not in my size.

I waited for someone to amble over, but no one did.

No point in sitting there for ever, so I left the shop.

Very poor effort from Evans.

No doubt they get a lot of browsers and time wasters, but a middle-aged bloke trying on shoes might just be interested in buying a pair.

Perhaps they thought I had come in out of the rain.

Next stop was Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in the aptly named - if not spelled - Byker area of Newcastle.

I passed three staff members on my way to Shoe Corner, each of whom spoke.

The assistant who served me answered the few questions I had, and gave me a couple of pairs of shoes to try on.

As this fascinating process was unfolding, we had an amiable chat about cycling.

It's hardly rocket science, is it?

Happily for me, the second pair met with my approval and were on budget at £60.

It's not the first time I've been under-whelmed by the staff at Evans, and it's not the first time I have been given good service by Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op.

One can only speak as one finds, so I will be interested to hear the experiences of others.

And in a bid to post the dullest pic on the forum, here's the shoes I bought:

Cycle shoe 1.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mentioned it before on the forum.
One of my very best experiences with a bike shop and bike shop staff was Evans in Crawley.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The Metro Centre Evans doesn't seem to have the best notion of customer service, I get similar when I drop in on visits to the parental homestead.

My local one at Manchester Velodrome is a lot better with friendly chatty staff.

Manchester's EBC is good too.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
to be honest the only LBS's I get have any time for is KB Cycles in Newburn and EBC in Byker.

Evans and M.Steels are just plain ignorant, I'm sure the latter watch as you pull up and only like to deal with owners of relatively new BMW's, Mercs and the like

Exile

My local one at Manchester Velodrome is a lot better with friendly chatty staff.

Have to agree with you there, spent almost half an hour chatting one evening last week whilst picking up a few bits and pieces. Was late home that night and the O/H was not impresses, especially as he'd had food ready for my usual arrival time.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got an Evans, EBC and a Halfords all within a few milesof me - TBH, all the staff I've dealt with in each of them have been absolutely fab. Can't fault any of them.

Mrs M

Guru
Bought a few items from EBC in Aberdeen, always had good, attentive service.
Went into Evans in Glasgow a few months ago and was completely ignored, even though they were not busy, walked out in disgust.

andyfraser

Über Member
I've got an Evans, EBC and a Halfords all within a few milesof me - TBH, all the staff I've dealt with in each of them have been absolutely fab. Can't fault any of them.
You're so lucky! I have a Hargroves 2.5 miles away and a Halfords 3 miles away. All the other bike shops are further away and most of them don't open on Sundays!

KneesUp

Guru
But of course you go to Butterworths? :smile:

Evans never leave me alone when I go in - they must think I look dodgy :smile: Meanwhile EBC ignored me completely when I was trying to find brake blocks the other week (Butterworths was shut)

lesley_x

Über Member
I bought my shoes from evans braehead over a year ago and had fantastic service. Couldn't fault it at all and an assistant attended to me very promptly. I actually felt compelled to email Evans with praise for the store, such was their good service.

However when I picked up my wheels from the same store and the lad on the desk argued with me they weren't shimano fitting and there was no way my cassette would fit I was pretty irritated. He was a little on the rude side. The manager appeared soon after and corrected him and had a chat about the wheels. Depends what staff are on and what mood they are in I think.

Sara_H

Guru
But of course you go to Butterworths? :smile:

Evans never leave me alone when I go in - they must think I look dodgy :smile: Meanwhile EBC ignored me completely when I was trying to find brake blocks the other week (Butterworths was shut)
I must confess, I haven't set foot in Butterworths for years. For repairs etc I use Bike Rehab in the city centre.

Pedalabitslower

Veteran
Hubbie and I were in Evans in Birmingham last weekend looking at Bromptons....eventually managed to find someone to show us some Brompton bags (once he had finished rolling a cycle chain to re-pack)...... but even when we said we were interested in buying two bikes with luggage we were more or less ignored.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hubbie and I were in Evans in Birmingham last weekend looking at Bromptons....eventually managed to find someone to show us some Brompton bags (once he had finished rolling a cycle chain to re-pack)...... but even when we said we were interested in buying two bikes with luggage we were more or less ignored.
Find a non chain Brompton dealer, they'll appreciate your custom rather more :smile:

http://brompton.com/dealers/find

Like these chaps? http://www.johnatkinscycles.co.uk/brands/brompton-bikes.php

They'll know how to service it properly etc too :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They know me by name in my local Evans, and the last time i was in there they refused to sell me something imwanted because they guy behind the counter told me it was rubbish, and showed me a better option for the same price.

Top Bottom