Evans V Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I sometimes wander into the Evans branch at Braehead, Glasgow. As lesleyx says, it is pot luck depending on which staff are on duty.
I posted a long time ago about being ignored at the till while the shop was quiet. I put the item back and walked out. At the time, staff must have been monitoring this site as a new member suddenly appeared jumping to their defence. Member has since disappeared, it was ladyinwhite or similar.
Since that incident, I use Evans for window shopping then go home and order on-line from chainreaction or wiggle. Anyone but Evans.

Sandra6

Veteran
We've been to the Gateshead Evans twice and been disappointed both times. When I have managed to get them to speak they were really disinterested and couldn't wait to get away. I won't go back.
But that said I've been in some Halfords and had the same.

Its more or less the attitude that you find in chain stores. The exceptions are indeed the exceptions. With no security of tenure and zero-hour contracts, it will only get worse.

I've visited Evans in Edinburgh on several occasions since its opening a few years ago and have often struggled to find assistance. EBC isn't my go to shop either but in general I do get better service there than Evans.

Big Nick

It amazes me how badly some shops deal with prospective customers

I have two LBS near me

The first is Westbrooks whom acknowledge you but always give the feeling that as you're not a racing snake you can't be serious about buying anything and seem largely disinterested in your custom. I have a few work colleagues who've experienced similar in there.

This contrasts with BikeScene whom I visited last week. The shop had a few customers in but immediately on closing the door an extremely friendly and helpful lad (Alan) came over and despite me saying I was only on a fact finding mission for a possible future bike purchase he spent around 45 minutes showing me around the bikes and giving me opinion on them. I really must say his customer service was second to none and when I buy a full susp bike later this year if I choose a brand they sell I will definitely buy it from them

Hip Priest

Veteran
On the flipside I once went to EBC in Byker to pick up something basic (lube or similar) and had to wait a full 5 mins to get served because the guy on the till was having a right old chinwag about cycling with the customer in front. The guy in front probably thinks EBC is wonderfully attentive, but I was a bit pissed off! It hasn't stopped me using the store occasionally though.

Leaway2

Lycrist
EBC in Manchester (Rushholme) gets 10/10 from me. Evans at the Trafford centre 1/10. Trying to get anyone to serve you is a nightmare.
I will always ride to EBC even though Evans is closer.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've had the similar ignore the customer experience in Evans in Kendal. But adequate (no more than that!) service there at some other times.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The experiences mentioned on here by people seem the same as the Evans in Birmingham depending on who seems to be working when you walk in the store.
Sometimes you want something, and you are ignored other times the service can be first class.
One member of staff in there is worthy of a lot of praise, he recognises me and is very helpful, as I do get in there quite often.
I know it's not new news, but Evans Cycles is up for sale and I see Mike Ashley is leading the race to acquire it along with Wiggle.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not every customer likes to be approached by staff when they are in a shop. Personally I prefer it if they just leave me alone and I can just go and ask somebody, if I require assistance.

My experiences in Evans have always been pretty good.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Manchester's EBC is good too.
My experience has been mixed - sometimes they're great, sometimes I've stood at the till with something I want to buy, and money in my hand, and been ignored until I got bored of it and left. I don't get to the Evans on Deansgate much, but I've yet to be ignored there.

Best service in that regard (i.e. not being ignored) locally is from the Bike Boutique near the Sugden centre, with Harry Halls a close second - as a happy coincidence, both shops have really knowledgeable staff too.

Top Bottom