Even more close overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bryce, I don't think your approach of sitting to the left of the lane would be very sensible, and would increase the dangers to Rog considerably.

Perhaps the only thing I'd be tempted to add in is a fairly large series of fear wobbles. If they think you can't ride a bike they give you magic amounts of space. That or ride a recumbent - most cars don't dare to come very close to me across that roundabout.

Here's my assault on Vauxhall from a couple of years ago, this time on my fixed wheel upright. Every few months I get an angry moton who doesn't like me not using that ridiculous cycle lane:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw234ZDcsmw

redjedi

Über Member
rog said:
I was wondering if someone was going to raise this point, i.e if you filter past other vehicles to make use of an ASL you are 'asking for trouble'. This would mean that using ASL’s makes cycling more dangerous, not safer!

From a legal perspective, I think the way I enter the green box is technically incorrect as I don't make use of the feeder lane? :smile: However, when the junction has this many lanes as this one, a single feeder lane isn't very useful...

I've got nothing against ASLs, I often use them, but sometimes I prefer to sit in line, especially if there's only a couple of vehicles.
I find this gives me the chance to get moving and clipped in, whilst keeping up with the moving traffic.
I also like to think that drivers behind me, see that I'm waiting patiently and will be in less of a rush to get past me. But that could just be me hoping for a perfect world where all road users are treated the equally :tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
redjedi said:
I've got nothing against ASLs, I often use them, but sometimes I prefer to sit in line, especially if there's only a couple of vehicles.
I find this gives me the chance to get moving and clipped in, whilst keeping up with the moving traffic.
I also like to think that drivers behind me, see that I'm waiting patiently and will be in less of a rush to get past me. But that could just be me hoping for a perfect world where all road users are treated the equally :smile:

+1

This is probably the safest and least confrontational approach, and is recommended in cyclecraft. OTOH I couldn't be doing that at many junctions on my commute. I might wait back if the junction is free flowing and there isn't a queue ahead, or go to the ASL if the traffic is likely to be slow or queueing the other side.

jezhiggins

redjedi said:

Me too. Even I was inclined to use them, the routes I ride they're usually occupied by cars anyway. I've come to regard any so-called cycle facility as a shared use, either with cars or with pedestrians, all of whom think cyclists shouldn't be there.

redjedi said:
I also like to think that drivers behind me, see that I'm waiting patiently and will be in less of a rush to get past me. But that could just be me hoping for a perfect world where all road users are treated the equally :tongue:

I have a dream ... :smile:

Top Bottom