Even more close overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Knowing that stretch of road only too well, this is standard driving for those parts.
It is nearly impossible to guarantee a safe position because of the layout, a lot of drivers have failed to get into their chosen lane and like to move across the traffic and some don't know this one way system and make absurd changes in direction, just to add to the fun.

If I might be absolutely frank, during rush hour I have taken to using the cycle path that goes from outside the Vauxhall Tavern, and under the railway bridge in order to join the embankment to Lambeth Bridge from there. It's generally quicker and a hell of a lot less stressful.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That first one - a G4S van? I dare you to post your video as a response to this one:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuVk4NkeeLM

And perhaps even report it to G4S? I got a response from them, plus a post from a purported employee. I always try to get their reg, write to the company if it's a liveried vehicle, plus put the reg. no. as searchable on youtube.

I cross this junction too, but I go South-North and back again.

OP
OP
rog

rog

bryce said:
Couldn't you keep on the left of the lane then for sure cars would not try to undertake and pull in on your lane. I imagine you the ones overtaking would treat you better as well.

I’ve followed cyclists who take this lane positioning, i.e. ride in the virtual gutter and it’s scary how close vehicles in the nearside lane come to clipping them with their mirrors. Also, the road isn’t wide enough for a car and a cyclist to share the lane and so you are increasing the risk of a close overtake.

bryce said:
I think a cyclist in that type of junction needs to treat car drivers as if they have a brain (I know some don't) and let them execute overtakes if they are able to safely. By taking 'primary' position you're just treating them all like incompetent idiots, which will rile them.

I would be more tempted to agree with this if I was in some way impeding the traffic flow i.e. travelling at a speed significantly less than other vehicles around me. But I am not and so there is no real need to overtake. What really annoys me is not just the fact that the overtakes are too close, but that they are also completely pointless as the traffic is slowing or coming to a standstill due to the traffic lights ahead.

Anyway, I dont believe cyclists should be responsible for the reactions of drivers. If motorists get riled by the action of another road user then that is their problem.

bryce said:
Agreed that junction is atrocious for cyclists and I avoid it like the plague. Isn't there a green pavement cycle lane though?

There is a green pavement cycle lane which runs along the path to the left. However, I would need to cross 5 lanes of traffic in order to get through the junction and its usually choka with peds and so I reckon its safer and quicker to stick to the road.

I must admit, I would probably stick with the road position you are holding. It gives you room on both sides to 'escape' to if need be, and gives you a buffer in both directions if someone does decide to stray across. Awareness is the key!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Without wishing to defend poor driving, that junction looks like the sort of place where people don't know where they ought to be, and get distracted and stop thinking about other people on the road.

Although if the vans are local, the drivers ought to be familiar, so that excuse goes out of the window.

I think I'm glad I don't have to deal with that! The only time I had to ride across London, (Waterloo to Kings X), I did get off at one junction and cross as a ped and remount round the corner - discretion being the better part of valour, plus I was carrying a very heavy pannier and the bike felt very sluggish. I suppose if I did it on a daily basis, I'd have more nerve....

Origamist

Legendary Member
It's a multi-lane mess. I used to cross it every other day, but avoid it now.

Vauxhall cycling tip: cycle as fast as possible with your eyes shut...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
+ 1 It is a complicated system even if you know it well. The combination of drivers who know the road and drive too fast and those who haven't a clue where they should be going make it a veritable cocktail of fun.

I've even seen a friend narrowly avoid being sideswiped at that junction by a driver who was in the furthest right hand lane to go towards Vauxhall bridge and then suddenly pulled across three lanes when she decided she needed to be turning left toward Clapham.

It was an early Sunday morning and she was in the only car on that stretch of the road.:laugh:

yello

rog said:
There is a green pavement cycle lane which runs along the path to the left.

It's a complete pain too. It is probably the safe option but it takes an eternity to get across the junction using it. Cyclists should be able to get across using the road without having to risking life and limb.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I guess rog is coming to this junction from Stockwell, the shared path in question starts on the other side of the road after you have any chance of crossing/turning right onto it.
The alternative is to cross at the lights with peds and start again.

redjedi

Über Member
I can't really see what else you can do, I would probably take that junction in the same way.
Actually I would probably chicken out and find a longer way around.

The only thing I would do differently in the second video is to stop behind the blue G4 van. Your only filtering past a couple of vehicles to get to the front and the lights are changing as soon as you get there.
The WVM probably just sees another cyclists skipping the queue and getting in his way.
At least if you stay behind them that is 2 less vans to worry about.

Otherwise just stay aware, and good luck!

yello

tdr1nka said:
+ 1 It is a complicated system even if you know it well. The combination of drivers who know the road and drive too fast and those who haven't a clue where they should be going make it a veritable cocktail of fun.

Absolutely. That's the point I was tying to make earlier.

So I reckon Arch is right too. It's not so much an 'in defence of drivers' point but a recognition that that section of road is particularly difficult for all road users.

OP
OP
rog

rog

redjedi said:
The only thing I would do differently in the second video is to stop behind the blue G4 van. Your only filtering past a couple of vehicles to get to the front and the lights are changing as soon as you get there.
The WVM probably just sees another cyclists skipping the queue and getting in his way.
At least if you stay behind them that is 2 less vans to worry about.

I was wondering if someone was going to raise this point, i.e if you filter past other vehicles to make use of an ASL you are 'asking for trouble'. This would mean that using ASL’s makes cycling more dangerous, not safer!

From a legal perspective, I think the way I enter the green box is technically incorrect as I don't make use of the feeder lane? ;) However, when the junction has this many lanes as this one, a single feeder lane isn't very useful...

Origamist

Legendary Member
rog said:
From a legal perspective, I think the way I enter the green box is technically incorrect as I don't make use of the feeder lane? :smile: However, when the junction has this many lanes as this one, a single feeder lane isn't very useful...

Yep, legally you are supposed to use a feeder lane to enter an ASL reservoir if one is present. However, this nonsensical law is soon to be rescinded...

Top Bottom