Ever amazed by your own stupidity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Just the other night i was de fleaing the cat. He hates me putting that small squirty tube of Spot on between his shoulder blades, and the only time I can do it, is when he's eating and is off guard. Whilst he was eating i stealthily applied the treatment only for him to turn round and lunge at me hissing and spitting. Not impressed he went out the back door closely followed by my big toe. As I shut the door though, I forgot to take my hand off the door frame trapping my finger in the door. End result was the cat was de loused and I ended up with a finger flattened, black and ruddy painful

Milzy

Guru
When I bought my first house it had a massive lawn in the back so I rushed the Flymo around all over as quick as possible as it took ages & I went straight over the cable. Bang. Fuse box tripped, found a spare Orange cable in the shed.

So your council doesn't recycle any plastic except bottles?

That doesn't seem reasonable.
Yup
last year there was a detailed pamphlet from then saying what could and could not be put in the recycling bin

rules for plastic
it you look at it and the word that occurs to you is bottle - then it is OK
if it is anything else - such as carton or tub or whatever - then no
and if it is black then no
quite simple -

but rather limited

Alex321

Veteran
Yup
last year there was a detailed pamphlet from then saying what could and could not be put in the recycling bin

rules for plastic
it you look at it and the word that occurs to you is bottle - then it is OK
if it is anything else - such as carton or tub or whatever - then no
and if it is black then no
quite simple -

but rather limited
Good grief, that is limited.

Over the last two years, I have lived in three different council areas in South Wales (Merthyr Tydfil, Rhondda-Cynon-Taf and no Vale of Glamorgan), and all of them had very different groups of things needing separate containers, but all of them take any hard plastics.

I don't see why they can't all get together and agree one standard for how things are collected.
All three did have one caddy for food waste (collected weekly), and black bags for non-recyclables (which are collected fortnightly in each council).
But then after those (all weekly except Vale Garden waste):

Merthyr - two boxes and a canvas bag. One box for paper & cardboard (including tetrapacks), one box for plastics, the bag for metal and glass. No garden waste collection.

RCT - all clear single use plastic bags. Paper and cardboard in one, plastics, metals & glass (including tetrapaks) in another, garden waste in another.

Vale of Glamorgan - One grey box (glass), one white canvas bag (paper), one orange canvas bag(cardboard), one or more blue canvas bags (metal and plastic, including tetrapaks). One or more green canvas bags (garden waste, collected the week blag bags aren't from April to October)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've always cycled from home to home, meaning i don't drive to a place to cycle, then drive home. However, one day I thought "Let's drive to (can't remember where, but about 10 miles from home) and ride from there for the novelty". Unfortunately I cycled home instead of back to where i'd parked my car. It was a long ride back to pick up my car.:blush:

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use a heat pad to treat blepharitis and this gets heated in a microwave for 30 secs.
At my son's house I put the thing into the oven and set the timer. Strange {to me } microwave so set it by mistake to 3minutes. Turned to do something else and bang silicone beads everywhere.:wacko:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Think I've told this story somewhere before, but a few years ago, I fitted an extractor fan in the bathroom in my old house. Wire ran around the wall at ceiling height, fan worked fine, no issues. The next time I decorated, I decided to replace the coving which was looking a but tired. Bought some new polystyrene stuff and stuck it to the wall, but in a couple of places it didn't stick properly so I put a small nail in to hold it (you can probably guess what's coming). Over the coming months, I felt a slight tingle whenever I touched the wall, however one day, for some reason, I grabbed the shower riser rail while I was in the shower. :hyper: I do remember lying in the bottom of the bath wondering what had happened but not much else. As you've guessed, I managed to slightly nick the cable with the nail which made the whole wall basically live. Since then I've managed to drill/nail/screw through different cables on at least 5 occasions.

Over the coming months, I felt a slight tingle whenever I touched the wall, however one day, for some reason, I grabbed the shower riser rail while I was in the shower. :hyper: I do remember lying in the bottom of the bath wondering what had happened but not much else. As you've guessed, I managed to slightly nick the cable with the nail which made the whole wall basically live. Since then I've managed to drill/nail/screw through different cables on at least 5 occasions.
yikes! you could wound up like roger ailes! if you believe that tale!

I use a heat pad to treat blepharitis and this gets heated in a microwave for 30 secs.
At my son's house I put the thing into the oven and set the timer. Strange {to me } microwave so set it by mistake to 3minutes. Turned to do something else and bang silicone beads everywhere.:wacko:
sounds like when I tried to make chocolate chip cookies in a microwave. this was 40 years ago, when I was even more ignorant than I am now. I was working late & I must have found the kind of tube you slice & bake. having never baked cookies myself, I thought a microwave worked like a regular oven. the office smoke detectors went off & I went to discover the black, molten mess

mustang1

Legendary Member
I once got my tie caught in the office shredder. My neck was being pulled towards the machine. I know I wouldn't have gone through but it could have broken my neck. Fortunately my yells were heard and someone hit the emergency stop - that was beyond my reach.
My tie was hung up over the machine as a warning.
I don't believe you. This kinda stuff only happens in cartoons.

Top Bottom