Ever been not allowed on a train with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know some companies dont allow bikes at busy times or require reservations for bikes but has anyone ever been refused access to a train for no good reason?

I know some companies dont allow bikes at busy times or require reservations for bikes but has anyone ever been refused access to a train for no good reason?
Not personally, but a friend has a tandem, which he booked and paid for - and when he turned up they wouldn't take the bike....:sad:
Edit/ Meant to say, they also wouldn't refund the money they had taken.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Yes.
I was once refused access to the cycle carriage on a First Scotrail train. The train was busy but seats were available within the passenger carriages yet 7 or 8 people were occupying the cycle carriage. The guard refused to ask them to move inside to the other carriages, telling me to wait for the next train 40 minutes later. A complaint to First only got me an unapologetic template reply.

GC

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yes.
I was once refused access to the cycle carriage on a First Scotrail train. The train was busy but seats were available within the passenger carriages yet 7 or 8 people were occupying the cycle carriage. The guard refused to ask them to move inside to the other carriages, telling me to wait for the next train 40 minutes later. A complaint to First only got me an unapologetic template reply.

GC

When I was getting the train back when I worked shifts etc. There was an occasion where I could not get my bike on the train normally Friday late shifts. Stowed out with drunk people. However my expierences of late are some what different, I have had the guard make a huge fuss and have people move from the areas where cycles are to be stored! Think it depends on your gaurd!

robjh

Legendary Member
No, over many years and on many trains I've never been refused (unlike on flights, but don't get me started there :cursing:). Mind you, I do play safe, and make bookings for the bike where I think it'll be needed. I think most train staff will try and help you as long as it's in their power to do so (and on seriously overcrowded trains, and working for some companies, it may not be).

The closest was at Victoria in London, where I was stopped at the barrier and told 'you can't take that on until 7 o'clock'. When I pointed out that it was then 18.55 but my train departed at 19.01, they relented.

Sara_H

Guru
I'vre never been stopped, but I'm utterly paranoid about it, to the extent that I've now bought a folding bike for going on trains.

When I was going on (non folding) bike tour once I had an advance ticket with a booked bike space from doncaster - newcastle. However, I had to get a northern rail train to doncaster. I was travelling at rush hour, northern rail only have two spaces and operate a first come/first served. I was determined not to miss the train, arrived an hour early, OH came with me to take a photo to prove I was there first! He also said, if any cyclist had tried to get on before me, he would have fought them on my behalf! :ninja::wub:

I would say as a rule, the rules around bikes and trains are very off putting. I'd like to do some family bike touring, but there aren't usually enough bike spaces on one train for all our bikes. Travelling on seperate trains wouldn't be much fun and would also mean we can't use our family rail card.

Bit crap really.

mattobrien

Guru
I wasn't refused, but was asked to move it.

A late night train c. 23:30 from Manningtree to Ipswich, a full ten minute journey on an empty train. I was in the entrance to the carriage areas with my bike and the guard made me get of and take it to the guards van, on the basis of how would people get off the train if there was a problem. Me suggesting that I would probably move it, wasn't a sufficient response.

He did come across as a proper jobsworth and I am sure took a great deal of pleasure in it. I may have been a little more cantankerous than usual due to having consumed a few fine ales. Last time I take the hybrid on that journey. Folder only moving forwards.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yep. At Reading on FGW. Train had no bikes on it but guard claimed there was no room. There was only no room because when he politely asked folk to move out of the bike space they told him to 'go away' just as they had done to me a few minutes earlier. When I wrote to complain FGW's response was, in essence, 'tough'.

At East Croydon I was once nearly refused entry through the barriers with a Circe tandem by a Southern Railway jobsworth. Which I'd taken to East Croydon station by train the evening before from another Southern station.

chriss2.0

South eastern don't allow non-folding bikes on commuter services full stop.. I don't want 2 bikes though :sad:

are u sure, iv done it lots,
seaford,
brighton
margate
ashford

and a few other lines

i always thought it was ok, im gonna be paranoid now when i next go down south:blink:

Last edited:

chriss2.0

did the London to Edinburgh grand central train (got off at Newcastle) with a fully loaded bike with camping gear.

i wonder if i was just plain lucky:sweat:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Central Trains are notorious for not allowing bikes, as well as having the worst bike provision on trains I have ever come across. I was refused entry last year by a Hitler wannabee employee at Thetford station last year, on a train that looked (from peering through the window) to be less than half full. To cap it all I only wanted to travel one stop (to Ely), and I'd have happily stood with the bike in a doorway for the 20 odd minute ride. Typical crappy old Britain I guess - Thetford, in a forest that is home to some of the best off road cycling in the country, and a train company that positively discourages cyclists.

Top Bottom