Ever been not allowed on a train with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss2.0

South Eastern and Southern are not the same companies and have different policies. Southern's most recent policy change is outlined below...

2052.jpg
ummm, resolution is too low to read the writing (at least for me)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ummm, resolution is too low to read the writing (at least for me)
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/cycle-policy/

KneesUp

Guru
Having gone through the company head office & getting written clearance to take it on the train. I rolled up at Manchester Picadilly & was allowed to place the Brox on the designated train, to Huddersfield. Short ride home from there. Guard comes down & tells me to get it off his train. Show him the letter & he's adamant that the train is going no-where whilst its on board.
Station manager called to get it off the train, confirms that the bike has been booked to travel on that service.
Ended up having to remove the Brox & cycle home instead. More fun in some ways, but a let down by the train company.
Head office said you could take it.
Station manager agrees with Head office
and you still had to take the bike off?

How did that happen? Did you follow it up?

classic33

Leg End Member
Head office said you could take it.
Station manager agrees with Head office
and you still had to take the bike off?

How did that happen? Did you follow it up?
Off the train & out of the station & rode it the 40 miles home.
Guard refused to allow the train to be leave. Station master replaced him, guard none to happy on this point, in order to let the train go. Not privvy to what was said in the office between the station master & guard. But as was explained to the guard, by the station master, it had already been agreed to/cleared by their head office. And the letter was proof of that, which he should not have questioned.
Annoyed & a complaint left with the staion master. Shortly after a new operator took over on that line/route.

Mile195

Veteran
I had a disagreement with Southern once. Just after they changed some south-east london stations to Overground. The man on the barriers wouldn't let me through and just grunted and pointed at a sign with the London Overground cycle policy - it was just after 09:30am. I was getting on a southern train though, so he should have let me travel (there was half an hour difference between peak times for the two -0 London overground restrictions ended at 10am).

I left the station, cycled quickly up the road to the next station, and got on there instead.

Wrote to Southern about the whole matter and they gave me £10 of rail vouchers.

Also got told off for trying to put my bike on the DLR at Island Gardens when the Greenwich Foot Tunnel was closed over the P.A. system in the station. I wouldn't have minded but the train was empty and I only wanted to get to the other side of the river.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Central Trains stopped operating in 2007, and their operations were largely taken over by CrossCountry and East Midlands trains. I wonder if your problem at Thetford was with East Midlands - the orange ones?

You are absolutely right- yes I meant East Midlands trains - sorry. they tend to blur into one for me! Ironically, their (East Midlands) rolling stock seem to be some of the best- comfortable seats, plenty of leg room, air con etc. But bring a bike into the equation, and they're hopeless- the bike 'cupoards' as you accurately decribe them, are worse than useless.

Sara_H

Guru
You are absolutely right- yes I meant East Midlands trains - sorry. they tend to blur into one for me! Ironically, their (East Midlands) rolling stock seem to be some of the best- comfortable seats, plenty of leg room, air con etc. But bring a bike into the equation, and they're hopeless- the bike 'cupoards' as you accurately decribe them, are worse than useless.
I hate those bike hanging things. I'm a bit weak in my arms and being short I find it really difficult getting my bike onto the hook.

Top Bottom