Ever cut a steerer tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again. Just to let everyone know, it all went fine. Got a spare nut off the nice man at Two Wheels Good in Crouch End who as luck would have it had just replaced a headset and was kind enough to root around in the bin for a couple of minutes, then give me two minutes advice on how to get the length just right (wouldn't take a penny), measured carefully, used the new nut and the one on my headset to create a hacksaw-blade sized gap at just the right point, hacksawed thru' the gap, add 45 seconds with a bit of emery paper, that was it. Done. Perfect.

Bodhbh

Guru
could it be mitre saw that you refer to?

No, I meant a Park Tools-type thingy that clamps around the steerer tube to guide a straight cut. Although it's useful to know about the mitre saw too (and the various other bodge solutions) :smile:

PeterD

Hi
Thought I'd add a comment to this thread. We always add 2mm extra to the required height as standard practice. Also if you are using a standard DIY hacksaw don't reply on being able to cut squarely using tape etc. Tip is -- use on old spare bar stem -- clamp it the steerer in the correct position and use as a guide. Best of all if you have two spare bar stems -- leaving a hacksaw gap between the two.

Hope this helps

Peter

P.H

Über Member
What's this obsession with it being square?  OK it's important on a threaded fork, but on an threadless?  The end of the steerer doesn't butt up against anything, there's no joining or attachment, it isn't seen,  it just has to end somewhere between the top cap and the star nut.  I'm not suggesting anyone hack away at it with a grinder, but really a mm or two off square isn't going to make any difference.

02GF74

Über Member
What's this obsession with it being square? OK it's important on a threaded fork, but on an threadless? The end of the steerer doesn't butt up against anything, there's no joining or attachment, it isn't seen, it just has to end somewhere between the top cap and the star nut. I'm not suggesting anyone hack away at it with a grinder, but really a mm or two off square isn't going to make any difference.

yep - is exactly what I said but in not so many worms.

Top Bottom