Ever ready lamps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porsche924

Used this type lamp many years ago when cycling back a fo to work. Not a lot of light when the batteries start to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_131923.jpg
    IMG_20221108_131923.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would think a lot of us older generation cyclists had them at one time or another. The last set I had I gave away about 15 years ago.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had this type...
1667914653276.png

Not only could you expect a dim glow to light your way, but hit any significant bump and the front lamp would jump out of its holder, hit the floor and scatter its component parts in all directions. To their credit, assuming you could find the batteries they would go back together again and keep working (until the next bump).

a.twiddler

Veteran
Nostalgia is nice, but in reality they were pretty awful. There wasn't much else in the way of competition. Led lights were a revelation when they first came out. A poor unreliable light and the batteries might last 4 hours, slowly getting dimmer unless you gave them the occasional tap, vs a smaller, lighter unit that gave a white light and the batteries last for weeks. If you gave a younger rider one of those today so they knew what we had to put up with they just wouldn't believe it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had this type...
View attachment 667291
Not only could you expect a dim glow to light your way, but hit any significant bump and the front lamp would jump out of its holder, hit the floor and scatter its component parts in all directions. To their credit, assuming you could find the batteries they would go back together again and keep working (until the next bump).
Piec of mountain bike innertube, doubled back on itself on the bracket stopped that.

Absolutely pants those lights were. I remember getting a cree LED torch for £20 or so and being delighted that I could actually see where I was going for once.

I don't miss those Evereadys.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had this type...
View attachment 667291

I've still got two sets of them, with the brackets in the shed.
Anyone want them?🤣

presta

Guru
I used these (with the spring contacts in the rear light bridged with wires):
1667918494869.png

1667918514502.png

As recently as 2006 I was using the front light off an old dynamo set running off the batteries in that rear light.

I now have these:
1667919078531.png

1667919095388.png

mustang1

Guru
Used this type lamp many years ago when cycling back a fo to work. Not a lot of light when the batteries start to go.

Wow I remember those! I had a set on my touring bike.

Ps: I love Porsche 924! Did someone say they aren't good any more? Yeah they are! They're made of steel too, and steel is real. Uhm....

Sharky

Guru
Just reminded myself, I used to have a set of ever ready lights which were locable onto the bracket. Tried googling them, but no luck.

Used to do a 23 mile each way, so needed lights am and pm. They took the big D cells, and I used to have two on the front. I also used rechargeable batteries, so I had to cary 4, or was it six D cells in my pockets!

Top Bottom