Ever seen a chainring this big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have just stumbled upon this picture of a bike somebody lent me in South Africa. The big ring was something like a 62 if I recall. The FD wouldn't change down to the small ring, which was something like a 36 so the very hilly ride I did was absolutely exhausting as I ended up climbing everything in the middle ring, a 50!

It went fast down hills though!

Bonkers, eh?

100_0813.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Scroll down a little on this page …..

http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/

Dan B

Disengaged member
Guy Martin used a dual chainring system for his British record a few years back.

View attachment 411605

Neither are huge but combined the real wheel is quoted to be rotating at 1,460rpm for Guy's 97rpm cadence. Bonkers :smile:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/guy-martins-record-breaking-rourke-speed-bike-118329
And less chance of grounding out on speed humps than the ones upthread

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Miles Smith, the Australian that attempted the mileage record rides an absolute monster as a day to day

Cantis! I guess because the frame was selected for BB height.

... then I read the article "I use a Trek carbon frame bike, and a Trek ION aluminium bike (cyclocross frame) that has wider front forks so you can unclip the brakes and keep going if you break a spoke"

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I have just stumbled upon this picture of a bike somebody lent me in South Africa. The big ring was something like a 62 if I recall. The FD wouldn't change down to the small ring, which was something like a 36 so the very hilly ride I did was absolutely exhausting as I ended up climbing everything in the middle ring, a 50!

It went fast down hills though!

Bonkers, eh?

View attachment 411587
Pah! That's nothing, I ride a 100-50 chainset around the Welsh Valleys. I was also the second man on the moon and own a private jet.

Top Bottom