Everesting attempt on Fixed gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
Having recently started riding fixed to help with my knee pain, I've come to love the feeling of riding fixed and extra challenges it poses.

I plan to complete an Everesting attempt within the month. Somewhere in North London.

I can't imagine many have completed one on a fixie, and almost certainly nobody in my weight category (220lb+). So in my mind when I complete it I will be the first in the world.

Here's a recent practice run

20161221_161537.png

20161221_161511.png

S-Express

So in my mind when I complete it I will be the first in the world.

You can call yourself the 'Everest Fixie world Champ' - maybe get a rainbow jersey to match.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Well fair play to ya. I got 10lbs on you at the moment and by the time I get to the top of most of the hills round my way I sound like a broken Dyson.

GOAB

Sharky

Guru
Using a fixed for climbing, as long as you choose the right gear is probably a good choice, as it will make the bike much lighter. But it could be an excessive strain on the hands and shoulders when descending.

It's a mammoth task though. Just pondering over the numbers.
Everest is around 30,000 feet, which is not far off 6 miles.
If you can find a steady hill of say 1:10 gradient, to climb 6 miles, you would have to travel 60 miles and to allow for the descents, this will be 120 miles.
And if you can average 10mph, this is a 12hr ride!

So no mean task and I wish you lots of luck when going for it.

Jody

Stubborn git
You plan to ride the whole 16.5+ hours to complete your challenge. What do you win?

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Using a fixed for climbing, as long as you choose the right gear is probably a good choice, as it will make the bike much lighter. But it could be an excessive strain on the hands and shoulders when descending.

If you can find a steady hill of say 1:10 gradient, to climb 6 miles, you would have to travel 60 miles and to allow for the descents, this will be 120 miles.

The fastest is around 9 hours. Most people take 20 hours. I reckon I should be ok at 16 hours. In total my ride will be around 195miles.

You plan to ride the whole 16.5+ hours to complete your challenge. What do you win?

Strava kudos. What more is there? If everybody had to win something nobody would achieve anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
From the link:
the link said:
Earning the Hells 500 grey stripe

– Verified Everesting automatically qualifies you for the coveted Hells 500 grey stripe.

– Once earned, a grey stripe is for life.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

If you look at the website most successful attempts are in the 16-20 hour range. Steeper hills tend to be quicker (less uphill wind resistance as you're going slower) and obviously fitter, lighter riders tend to be quicker. But that's the sort of thing facing an Everesting attempt

Here's a recent one. On a really good hill for it (about a mile of 10%) and he's one of the fastest local climbers. Still took him nearly 12 hours cycling plus 2 hours stopped time

https://www.strava.com/activities/775056852

He climbed it 57 times. Amazingly, 30 of those were faster than my PB up that hill

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The linked website has lots of rules/guidelines and advice (I particularly liked "listen to your mum"). However, oddly, they don't allow use of recumbents. Why ever not? Extra kudos with knobs on I would have thought.

Top Bottom