Every now and again you come across an old bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Old bikes. Nightmare. Seized and rusted parts - fused stems and seatposts, pedals well stuck into cranks..

So I picked this cheapie up on eBay - all scraped and battered - to tidy up and feared the worst when the l/h crank dustcap was stuck and shattered, digging out pieces of plastic before I could get the crank puller screwed in. I thought I was in for a night of "if it can get stuck it will".

After that things just came apart a dream. Looked at the mudguards all faded and scuffed..then looked again and scraped them with a fingernail...I was right - this 25 year old clunker still had the plastic coating on the dazzling as-new chrome - I could sell them alone as NOS for more than the bike cost me.

Even the fixed b/b cup came out with just a 12" adjustable spanner - no pratting about with M16 bolts and locknuts - first time for everything!

Shame it's a nasty gaspiper but it's yielded enough good parts for another couple of bikes. Might strip it and rattlecan it though

Dave 123

Legendary Member
This wasn't the thread I had expected from the title......:sad:

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
This wasn't the thread I had expected from the title......:sad:

Perhaps this'll cheer you up

Living in a shared house, I lent a housemate my best Park headset spanner. Which he left in his toolbox. When he moved out he left loads of his stuff behind. Including his toolbox which he had also used as a repositry for used condoms.

I now have a VAR headset spanner. (And no, I do not have pics of the offending receptacle)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Indeed still some bargains to have off eBay. My Falcon Westminster which has a Reynolds 531 frame cost me £78 - it was as new apart from the tyres that had perished. New tyres, some chain lube and a minor gear service was all she needed. I bought my wife a very tidy Raleigh Pioneer in 501 for the princely sum of £19.01 .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351361438584.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351361438584.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom