Everybody Hates Us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
See this facebook page.
At the moment there are 74 comments, ALL are anti-cyclists!
We desperately need loads of pro-cycling comments added before the Council take note of the 'anti' comments and rip up miles of brand new cycle lane.

We also need people to fill in the map with positive cycling comments, because at the moment there aren't any.

Backstory:
Greenwich, S E London.
Boris Johnson, the then London Mayor, promised that by 2011 he would have 15 radial cycle routes set up into central London.
The tarmac would all be Tory blue rather than Labour red
The cycle route out to Greenwich, number 3, was finally completed end of 2022,
so only a decade late, and completed (in black), despite Tory opposition, by mayor Sadiq Khan (Labour).

Many of the locals hate it as it has slowed down the traffic, and it is currently under utilised, mostly due to the Pandemic and that fact that it's winter.

However i do not want the Royal Borough of Greenwich (Labour) ripping up sections due to massive public opposition.
So far there has been no 'pro-cycling' comments at all.

Willd

Veteran
Farcebook too

1676554357361.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
See this facebook page.
We desperately need loads of pro-cycling comments added before the Council take note of the 'anti' comments and rip up miles of brand new cycle lane.

We also need people to fill in the map with positive cycling comments, because at the moment there aren't any.

Backstory:
Greenwich, S E London.
Boris Johnson, the then London Mayor, promised that by 2011 he would have 15 radial cycle routes set up into central London.
The tarmac would all be Tory blue rather than Labour red
The cycle route out to Greenwich, number 3, was finally completed end of 2022,
so only a decade late, and completed (in black), despite Tory opposition, by mayor Sadiq Khan (Labour).

Many of the locals hate it as it has slowed down the traffic, and it is currently under utilised, mostly due to the Pandemic and that fact that it's winter.

However i do not want the Royal Borough of Greenwich (Labour) ripping up sections due to massive public opposition.
So far there has been no 'pro-cycling' comments at all.

Shouldn't this be in NACA or somewhere? At least, somewhere that someone who lives in or near Greenwich might read it. If you are a member of Cycling UK, maybe there. Possibly they're already involved. It's a London thing, isn't it, and although stuff that happens there might affect the rest of us eventually, it's as well to remember that London isn't the focus of most people's world.

Alex321

Veteran
See this facebook page.

I don't think your facebook link is correct. It just links to the group page for Greenwich Cyclists, not to any specific post, and I can't see any posts there with 74 responses in the first dozen or so posts.

Reactions: mjr

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not on FaceBoak; I live about 400 miles from Greenwich; and I find that even on a cycling forum, people take a dim view if you post anything anti-driver, because we all need to get along (someone needs to tell this to applicable drivers). So I'm out. Good luck; but you're farting against thunder.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It sounded somewhat political to me, cycling advocacy or not.
Cycling advocacy is inevitably often political. However, it is cycling-specific and not even always about the news or current affairs. I refer to https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/politics-and-personal-political-debates.215218/ post in the Rules section and its "except where the discussion is cycling-related".

The discussion is often how to AVOID something as clearly beneficial as cycling becoming a political football, to use a metaphor from the wrong sport. Lefties should love cycling because it's a great leveller and a more efficient use of space. Righties should love cycling because it's more independent and self reliant than motor transport. So why don't they?

Last edited:
Top Bottom