Everyone is an expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Someone at work saw me cycling today, and felt the need to come and give me a bit of a lecture about the fact I don't wear a helmet.

Why do people who don't cycle, and haven't done any research at all, think they know better than me on this?

I know she was only concerned about me, but it's a bit silly.

She didn't really have an answer when I asked why she didn't wear one when driving.

young Ed

Veteran
arm chair cyclists are everywhere! there are in fact probably more arm chair cyclists than there are actual cyclists! and of course there are some people who just have to have an opinion on absolutely everything and they must voice that opinion! :sad:
Cheers Ed

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Except armchair cyclists don't get enough exercise armchair cycling, and the rotund people waddling around at my workplace are living proof of that :laugh:.

Yes, I know some of them are overweight for other reasons, some of them even beyond their control, but far too many are overweight simply because they insist on driving when many of them do have healthier alternatives.

I got the same off my OH (also a cyclist) on Saturday when in the middle of a rural area in Scotland on a ride I know exceptionally well, with exceptionally little traffic around (maybe met 10 cars for the entire 48 miles), he wanted me to wear my helmet instead of my woolly hat I was wearing in the snow. He tactfully pointed out that with my ability to stay on the bike (came off twice last year - though both times were off the mountain bike & not the road bike) I would be safer wearing my helmet especially given that there was snow on the ground and I was riding my road bike!

Sara_H

Guru
Someone at work saw me cycling today, and felt the need to come and give me a bit of a lecture about the fact I don't wear a helmet.

Why do people who don't cycle, and haven't done any research at all, think they know better than me on this?

I know she was only concerned about me, but it's a bit silly.

She didn't really have an answer when I asked why she didn't wear one when driving.
I think its because nationally we've been brain washed in to accepting that its "common sense".

I've had strangers in the street politely tell me I need a helmet, my work colleagues were horrified when I told them I don't where a helmet. Its bizarre.

Best bit is when you then explain the reasons for your choice, they listen politely but are clearly thinking I'm a loon - yet they have no knowledge with which to back up their views.

Very interesting, from a psychological/sociological point of view.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You should hear the shoot I get about my 4 year old not wearing wearing a helmet. Even random people in the street remark about it.
Thankfully, my good lady wife and my MIL have both now given up.

TeeQue

I think its becausenationally we've been brain washed in to accepting that its "common sense".

I've had stranges in the street politely tell me I need a helmet, my work colleagues were horrified when I told them I don't where a helmet. Its bizarre.

Best bit is when you then explain the reasons for your choice, they listen politely but are clearly thinking I'm a loon - yet they have no knowledge with which to back up their views.

Very interesting, from a psychological/sociological point of view.

Out of interest what are the reasons for you choice?

I haven't been cycling long but had so far assumed it was pretty sensible to wear a helmet when cycling on the road.

If there's a chance I'm going to hit my head on tarmac I'd prefer it was protected!

I haven't been cycling long but had so far assumed it was pretty sensible to wear a helmet when cycling on the road.

If there's a chance I'm going to hit my head on tarmac I'd prefer it was protected!

I don't wear a helmet, except at night as I have a light mounted on mine, for the following reasons in no particular order:
  • I find them uncomfortable (I have a big head which restricts the helmets available to me)
  • I find them sweaty
  • These consensus of scientific research is that they do very little good and may in fact cause problems
  • In my 40 years of cycling I have had various offs and have removed skin from hands, arms, legs and broken a big toe but have never hit my head.
  • Its always good to have something to argue with passing 'experts' about :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
some 35 years ago after a double caving fatality (drowning in high water) a local "expert" was vehemently asserting they should have carried "aqualungs" then they would have been fine. I guess the "expert" he must have been an "expert" scuba diver as well as a caving "expert"

Wobblers

Euthermic

The problem begins when you realise that strapping a large plastic object to your head makes it bigger and therefore more likely to come into contact with the ground in a crash. This is further compounded by the best research we have on the subject which shows helmet wearing confers no benefits as to reducing injuries: there's no evidence that they work, in other words. Your assumption that your head is protected is simply not supported by the evidence.

Yes, it just seems like common sense that a helmet will protect you. Sadly, science is full of examples of these common sense ideas being overturned by evidence. It is a far better strategy to concentrate on reducing risks - by proper observation, good road positioning, anticipation, not cycling faster than the conditions allow and avoiding pot holes etc. That way you can reduce the chances of you having the crash in the first place - a sensible idea when you think that you can hurt a lot more than just the bit of your head a helmet covers!

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What really boils my pee is things like mandatory helmets on cycle training courses.
Cycle training is proven to reduce injuries, so to deny it to a group of people on the basis of a piece of equipment that is not proven to reduce injuries is perverse and counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom