Everyone needs friends like Kevin and Rob.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Two legends fighting very different battles.
Rob is suffering an unimaginable slow decline. But Kevin Sinfield just grows from strength to strength as a human. Is there any finer example of friendship in the “hard man” sport of Rugby League.
They both know that time is running out but have shared so much love and support with each other. Whilst raising cash and awareness for a terrible disease.
It had me in tears.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-65590288

postman

Legendary Member
Brought me to tears,i have never seen anything like it.Knighthoods are richly deserved for these two.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Two legends fighting very different battles.
Rob is suffering an unimaginable slow decline. But Kevin Sinfield just grows from strength to strength as a human. Is there any finer example of friendship in the “hard man” sport of Rugby League.
They both know that time is running out but have shared so much love and support with each other. Whilst raising cash and awareness for a terrible disease.
It had me in tears.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-65590288

I've just watched that video and yes it is quite emotional! To think he's only 40 and is now so helpless! And there's me 22 years older, sometimes self pitying about not being able to ride a bike now, or walk anywhere near as fast as I could. if I'd ended up like Rob Burrow now is, at such a young age I don't think I would've had his courage!

Slick

Guru
I've been really impressed by Kevin, but then, who hasn't. Watching him interact with everyone on that run from Edinburgh was amazing, but big Doddie was still able to keep them on their toes despite passing away before the run was finished. Some great examples of some great characters despite facing the toughest battle of their life.

There's one image that I could have probably done without, and that's Kevin carrying Rob like a chld. Its not about me though.

Cracking guy Kevin, not many like you sir.

DRM

Guru
Kevin Sinfield was always known as Sir Kev by the Headingley South Standers, I really think King Charles should make it official for everything he's done to support Rob, & for all those huge challenges he's done to raise money for, and awareness of MND, it's gutting to see Rob Burrow so ill, after enjoying watching him make opposing teams defence look daft as he jinked round them, video added of Rob in happier times.

View: https://youtu.be/eWYx4sS1YTY

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There's one image that I could have probably done without, and that's Kevin carrying Rob like a chld. It’s not about me though.

Yes. It does appear to be infantilising, and I know some disability campaigners have commented that it could be seen as unhelpful. As people already talk down to disabled people and help/touch them without permission.
However they both agreed to do this beforehand, so there was consent from both sides.

Drago

Legendary Member
Damn right Mr Beebs.

Its a personal matter between them and not for the likes of armchair pundits or uninvited do-gooder organisations to comment about what these good folk thought was right for their situation.

Too many people sticking their noses into other people's business uninvited is a big problem these days,

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Jermaine Defoe are both good recent examples of compassion in football.

Defoe is a better example of a man child finally growing up.

As a youngster, he was a typical entitled footballer, showing the usual disregard for decent behaviour, and a complete disregard for motoring law.

However, his care and attention to the poorly Sunderland lad was undoubtedly genuine, and he appears to now behave as a decent citizen.

Although I'm not sure he should be congratulated for adhering to what most of us would regard as a minimum standard.

Top Bottom