Evolution - What next for the cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The double triangle frame design has been around for some time, largely unchanged. Alternative designs have come, and most have gone. Some, like the recumbent have a very loyal following, but the double triangle is still the most popular.

In recent years the various frame materials have been used, mechanical gearing has been joined by electronic and brakes have gone from dragging your feet, friction on the tyre, clamp the rim to mechanical and hydraulic discs.

Im sure that in time all these new technologies will be improved on, and hopefully prices will come down, but as it stands now are we close to the point where we are getting close to the pinnacle of what cycles will ever be?

Discuss...

Extra 2 wheels, a roof and an engine?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I think there is a lot more to come, different materials i would think would be the main one, there is a lot of improvement to be had with gear changing selection,

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The UCI might just lower the minimum weight limit now that there are plenty of underweight bikes out on the roads nowadays. Apart from that, hydraulic rim brakes might become regularly used in pro racing. Meanwhile, disk brakes seem to be the most noticeable change on the streets, though there's probably still a weight question for the pros.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The fact that the bicycle has basically hardly changed over the years is proof that the design is as near as perfect. There are improvements in materials used and electronics creeping in but the triangular shape of the frame is here to stay for a long time I think.

Top Bottom