Examples of non political advocacy topics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Could we have some examples of acceptably non political advocacy topics, please? I expect that replying to almost anything in the advocacy and safety section will get the topic locked and referred to the ghetto, or at least the post deleted for being political.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Anything cycling related rather than right or left wing point scoring. Examples without thinking too hard:
Should there be more segregated cycle lanes?
Should helmets be mandatory?
Should cyclists take a test?
Should BS compliant light usage be enforced? :whistle:
etc. etc. etc.

U

User482

Anything cycling related rather than right or left wing point scoring. Examples without thinking too hard:
Should there be more segregated cycle lanes?
Should helmets be mandatory?
Should cyclists take a test?
Should BS compliant light usage be enforced? :whistle:
etc. etc. etc.
All of those are related to law and government policy. Posts were deleted in the café yesterday for exactly this reason.

Big Andy

Über Member
As soon as you ask where funding will come from, that is political and the stasi will arrive.
There are plenty of threads in that section with relevent political comment that are still visible and open so I dont think your point stands up to scrutiny.
Perhaps if everyone just got on with posting what they think is relevent in there and we will see how it goes.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Since some people are being deliberately dense about this; political discussion that directly relates to cycling is allowed in the Advocacy and Cycling Safety section. That is what the section was set up for and it is intended that it will remain that way.

If I may hazard a comment: throwing about words such as stasi and causing disruption until you get what you want is very impolite and not the way that civilised people deal with a problem. Lets not have any more of that if you please.

U

User482

Since some people are being deliberately dense about this; political discussion that directly relates to cycling is allowed in the Advocacy and Cycling Safety section. That is what the section was set up for and it is intended that it will remain that way.

If I may hazard a comment: throwing about words such as stasi and causing disruption until you get what you want is very impolite and not the way that civilised people deal with a problem. Lets not have any more of that if you please.

Civilised people don't call others "deliberately dense". You're completely out of order, and should know better.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

I must be being deliberately dense then. Because here's a thread which is about bikes and is extremely political.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bike-sales-in-decline.225512/

The division between political and nonpolitical is utterly arbitrary.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Since "some people" are being deliberately dense about this: please could we have examples of acceptable advocacy topics?

It's already been made painfully clear to me that I don't understand "political" in the same way as the moderators (as a short educational post about official statistics was deemed political) so it seems quite possible that the moderators' view of "directly relates" isn't the same as mine either.

U

User32269

The lack of a clear boundary is inevitable. If cycling infrastructure or legislation etc is being discussed, it will include political issues. These will be relevant to the discussion, four pages of how crap the tories are, despite being true (sorry!) is an aside, and belongs in the political forum.
People who made the cc political forum so unwelcoming, and would spend lots of energy stifling the views of others with pages of pedantry and insults, should accept the results of their actions. But, to be honest, carry on for a bit longer coz it's really funny!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There is a lot of trolling going on.
Since "some people" are being deliberately dense about this: please could we have examples of acceptable advocacy topics?

It's already been made painfully clear to me that I don't understand "political" in the same way as the moderators (as a short educational post about official statistics was deemed political) so it seems quite possible that the moderators' view of "directly relates" isn't the same as mine either.
I must be on your ignore list as I mentioned four in the first response to your post........................................................

U

User482

As it seems to be acceptable for a Moderator to insult other forum members, and have that insult liked by other moderators and the site founder, I guess we also need some guidance on when its permitted. Perhaps there's a list of chosen people.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

People who made the cc political forum so unwelcoming, and would spend lots of energy stifling the views of others with pages of pedantry and insults, should accept the results of their actions.
They have. They're on the other site already, back-slapping each other on getting rid of the pesky rules that could get pedantry, insults and worse deleted and them potentially banned for it.

Now, what about the rest of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom