Excessively noisy motorbike exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Some guy with a motorbike has recently moved into the area and its incredibly noisy. I had a police officer friend recently stay with me and when he heard it go past, he commented 'that doesn't sound legal'...and he's a motorcyclist too. I was just in a video call with work colleagues and had the office window ajar for some air. This guy roars past and I could not hear what I was saying, some of my colleagues asked what the noise was. To say his exhaust is loud is a bit of an understatement. One time he went by, my hand on the window sill felt the vibration. Clearly, he must have an 'official' exhaust pipe for the MOT, and then puts on his 'listen to my motorbike' one to deafen the neighbourhood. How should one go about reporting this as it seems to be a violation of noise pollution levels?. By contrast, other motorbikes in the neighbourhood sound like purring cats compared to this thing.

dodgy

You can hear them for miles, I have no idea why they are so insecure as to have to make their bike sound loud. Ask for advice from your policeman friend.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I thought you wouldn’t be able to hear it from outer space :smile:. Shouldn't think plod will be interested as they can’t even to bothering to investigate real crime so maybe invest in some ear defenders until he gets pulled, probably by a motorcycle cop as they’re the only ones who’ll be able to catch him.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a police officer friend recently stay with me and when he heard it go past, he commented 'that doesn't sound legal'...and he's a motorcyclist too.
It's a pity on duty PC's don't have that same thought and actually stop these anti social riders and give them a ticket.
Around here it's all talk the talk,but not walk the walk with the plod. They give out messages on social media and put laminated posters up on lamp posts warning of the consequences of riding illegal motorised bikes,but actually do feck all about it!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There are 3 or 4 old duffers around here who ride those hideous Harley Davidson thingies,complete with WW2 German helmets,'Hells Angel' type leather jackets etc etc.:rolleyes: The noise those things make is similar to a tractor. One of the things was destroyed the other week,after the owner was working on it on his mate's drive and somehow it set on fire, not only destroying the bike but melting the tarmac and burning the plastic guttering as well.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

It's a pity on duty PC's don't have that same thought and actually stop these anti social riders and give them a ticket.
Around here it's all talk the talk,but not walk the walk with the plod. They give out messages on social media and put laminated posters up on lamp posts warning of the consequences of riding illegal motorised bikes,but actually do feck all about it!
To be fair to my friend, he was on leave. On his patch, they've seen a cut in police officers. In his division the words 'Teresa May' are profanities.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

There are 3 or 4 old duffers around here who ride those hideous Harley Davidson thingies,complete with WW2 German helmets,'Hells Angel' type leather jackets etc etc.:rolleyes: The noise those things make is similar to a tractor. One of the things was destroyed the other week,after the owner was working on it on his mate's drive and somehow it set on fire, not only destroying the bike but melting the tarmac and burning the plastic guttering as well.:rolleyes:
At least one has now been destroyed. I know the type of rider you mean, often have the confederate flag on their jackets too despite it being nowt to do with our history.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

You can hear them for miles, I have no idea why they are so insecure as to have to make their bike sound loud. Ask for advice from your policeman friend.
May be some male thing like 'I have a massive dick'...?. Actually, that should be 'I am a massive dick' if you feel it necessary to burst eardrums:okay:.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Some guy with a motorbike has recently moved into the area and its incredibly noisy. I had a police officer friend recently stay with me and when he heard it go past, he commented 'that doesn't sound legal'...and he's a motorcyclist too. I was just in a video call with work colleagues and had the office window ajar for some air. This guy roars past and I could not hear what I was saying, some of my colleagues asked what the noise was. To say his exhaust is loud is a bit of an understatement. One time he went by, my hand on the window sill felt the vibration. Clearly, he must have an 'official' exhaust pipe for the MOT, and then puts on his 'listen to my motorbike' one to deafen the neighbourhood. How should one go about reporting this as it seems to be a violation of noise pollution levels?. By contrast, other motorbikes in the neighbourhood sound like purring cats compared to this thing.
I ride a motorcycle and it's one of a few things I hate about other riders, stupid coke tin sized exhausts are not in any way cool.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Most police use 90 decibels as the upper limit. It’s only a non-endorsable fine of 50 or 80 quid if they do catch them. Other actions under the Road Traffic Act would mean paperwork. And no police officer currently has the time for writing up exhausts I’m afraid.
I was guilty as a lad of fitting a modified Mikron pot to a 125. I can still feel the exhaustion of having to ride around on all that noise. Why I did it? Some irrational buzz that maybe I became irresistible to the grammar school girls as I blatted past the bus stop at night? That one day the most delicious of them would step into the road and commend my polluting cacophony as the most erotic sound she had ever witnessed…This did not happen.
A couple of fresh old potatoes rammed into an exhaust provide ample baffling…

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At least one has now been destroyed.
Yes,but unfortunately i heard that he's expecting a full insurance payout,due to it being 'accidental'.:headshake:The neighbours must think they are in Hells Angel Hell!! The bungalow owned by one of these greasers is on a quiet road. The neighbours either side are elderly church going types. I've passed the greaser's bungalow and heard horrendous revving sounds and a heavy stench of petrol and oil.:sad:

Top Bottom