Exercise equivalents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As per title, and knowing it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, what is the equivalent exercise for cycling, walking & running/jogging?

Obviously it depends on the amount of effort put in but I'm interested as I'm riding less (knee issues), walking more (and never running!)

I walk @ 3mph for 2 to 3 miles per day, sometimes up to 8 to 10 miles.

I still ride but only 10 to 20 miles a week.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I did work it out once to assist in creating a calorie deficit to loose weight. I based it KCal per mile NOT hour. For me it was roughly 40 KCal per mile on the bike and 80 on foot. IE. Walking burnt twice as much per mile.

It will be different for others due to weight, bike type etc.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was thinking that per hour might be more representative, as a 3 mile walk equalling 1 hour is equivalent a 10 / 15 mile ride. (or a 7 mile run, not that I'll ever do that.. Lol)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I was thinking that per hour might be more representative, as a 3 mile walk equalling 1 hour is equivalent a 10 / 15 mile ride. (or a 7 mile run, not that I'll ever do that.. Lol)

Whatever floats your boat. Easy to convert though if you know your average speed. Eg 1 hour at 14mph for me is 14x40 thus approx 660KCal per hour cycling.

Note iv never used a Garmin type thing, just manually worked it out using my guidance from Google

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Interested too ! 😎🤷‍♂️

Really enjoy fast walking: and average around 4.5mph for anywhere between 4 and 8 mile jaunts. (Nearly 60 miles total in first 12 days of February). I’d love some sort of comparison for this and cycling certainly…

Not interested in running - and we’ll see how much cycling I do when the roads are dry / salt free and the sun comes out !!

wouldn't fast walking be worse on the knees ? what about swimming

As a Person with Dodgy Knees , in my experience walking fast is not a problem it is jogging and running that cause injuries to the vulnerable.
Swimming is good but you need good form in your breast stroke kick to avoid stress on knee joint.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
As a Person with Dodgy Knees , in my experience walking fast is not a problem it is jogging and running that cause injuries to the vulnerable.

My experience too….

I have one less than perfect knee; legacy from another sport. I’m 51 and don’t want to risk ruining it any further than
I have too with what’s becoming more and more exercise these days.

I started running / jogging and knew it was going to impact ‘my knee’ - very soon in. Hence the change to very brisk walking.

Not one issue / tweak / pain or issue of any sort so far - doing anything upto 40 miles a week in quality / shock-absorbing / supportive running shoes. Long May it continue…..

Jameshow

Veteran
I terms of running I usually think that a 10k run is equivalent to a 25m cycle.

And a Century is roughly equivalent to a marathon.
As has been said running takes it out if your joints more. But both if run/ridden hard will leave you knackered!!

Top Bottom