Exercise equivalents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
As a Person with Dodgy Knees , in my experience walking fast is not a problem it is jogging and running that cause injuries to the vulnerable.
Swimming is good but you need good form in your breast stroke kick to avoid stress on knee joint.

Pre knee op, I was doing a fair amount of swimming, front crawl though (I’m rubbish at breast stroke anyhow)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It’s usually said that cycling vs running is roughly a ratio of 4:1, hence 100 miles bike ride = 26 miles running.

However, people who do Ironman, often say running is more difficult than the bike ride.

PS - walking is so underrated. A brisk walk can leave me as sweat-drenched as a run.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
PS - walking is so underrated. A brisk walk can leave me as sweat-drenched as a run.
Love my walking. I’m currently at 68 miles for the week and will probably do another four or five this afternoon.

BB3028F2-F5DE-4249-B70E-1E1AD1B49027.png

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
wouldn't fast walking be worse on the knees ? what about swimming

Sadly not. My knee can't take the sideways movement of breaststroke and my front crawl has been likened to Forest Gump's running...
It's the different movement & muscle usage that means walking is OK.

Jameshow

Veteran
It’s usually said that cycling vs running is roughly a ratio of 4:1, hence 100 miles bike ride = 26 miles running.

However, people who do Ironman, often say running is more difficult than the bike ride.

Probably because the run comes last.... When you see them transition from the bike to the run they always seem a bit wobbly!!

Hats off to anyone who does an Ironman!!

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/fastest-ironman-time

2h35m marathon!! After the swim and cycle

presta

Guru
The ACSM Compendium of Physical Activity lists the metabolic rate for a total of 822 activites, the majority of which (inlcuding the ones that interest people on here) are actual measured data published in peer reviewed papers. The CPA was set up to be the go-to reference for precisely this sort of stuff, and includes just about every activity you care to think of, from running, cycling, walking, swimming etc, to washing the pots, watching TV, and even having sex. It's all there, all you need to do is look it up.

This is the Compendium
This is the covering paper that was published at the time the latest version was released in 2011
This is the page where you can download your own PDF copy of the table

Since energy consumption is proportional to bodyweight, the data are normalised and specified in METs, one MET being one kcal/hour per kg of bodyweight (formally, it's 3.5 mL of oxygen per kilogram per minute, but the definition in terms of kcals/hr is a close approximation that's widely used because of its convenience). To calculate kcal/hour, multiply the METs by your weight in kg, and then to calculate kcal/mile, divide that by mph.

The data as tabulated are population averages, if you want to improve the accuracy further you can adjust the figures to compensate for your own individual age, weight, height and sex. The details how are here.

The CPA website says "The 2011 Compendium table is available as a .xls (Excel) file upon request", whether they'll send it to individuals or only academics I don't know, I'd already cut & paste the PDF table into Excel before I found it. It might depend how many they get asking.

If you want a copy, my own spreadsheet's here.

Put in your age, weight height & sex it will calculate your own personally corrected data for you, both in METs and kcal/hour.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
It’s very hard to compare them as cycling is non impact. Where as the number of runners who develop knee, ankle, shin splints, Achilles, hip issues. Running takes a much higher physical toll on the body.

That's why I mix and match!

They say you only have 10 years hard running in your body!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It’s very hard to compare them as cycling is non impact. Where as the number of runners who develop knee, ankle, shin splints, Achilles, hip issues. Running takes a much higher physical toll on the body.
That is exactly what I was going to say... I can do hilly 100+ km rides without too many problems (as long as I remember to eat and drink enough) but I would have real problems trying to run just 1 km!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That is exactly what I was going to say... I can do hilly 100+ km rides without too many problems (as long as I remember to eat and drink enough) but I would have real problems trying to run just 1 km!

last time i ran was about 18 months ago on hols so i thought i would go for a run as i had no bike .I hammered out about 3 miles at a good pace as i had the cardio fitness but couldnt walk properly for the rest of the hols

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
last time i ran was about 18 months ago on hols so i thought i would go for a run as i had no bike .I hammered out about 3 miles at a good pace as i had the cardio fitness but couldnt walk properly for the rest of the hols
My joints stand up to cycling and brisk walking but running makes them ache very quickly. My dad was crippled by osteoarthritis and I want to avoid ending up like that (he was hobbling about with 2 walking sticks when he was about 10 years younger than me). It's a pity because I would really enjoy running.

Jameshow

Veteran
I tend to run in winter when it's too cold / dangerous to cycle, and ride in summer when it's too hot to cycle.

Also I tend to run for a purpose like a race, but rude for pleasure like and eventing ride or tour.

Top Bottom