Exercise equivalents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't think there is any equivalent. Cycling is cycling, running is running, swimming is swimming.

This reminds me of the "how many miles should I ride on the road to have an equivalent ride off road on MTB?" Again, it's not an equivalent.

It's a bit like commuting in town, or riding the open road.

Interestingly I ride a MTB in Devon and it's much more of a workout than the road bike esp with the steep hills you find, which means I get a decent workout, added to which the MTB is great for carp roads!! Some are just covered in flith!!

I don't think there is any equivalent. Cycling is cycling, running is running, swimming is swimming.

This reminds me of the "how many miles should I ride on the road to have an equivalent ride off road on MTB?" Again, it's not an equivalent.

It's a bit like commuting in town, or riding the open road.

You could measure heartbeats per km.

Jameshow

Veteran
Obviously don’t live in UK. Possible to ride year round in UK.

I do just a soft southerner in the north!🤣🤣🤣

Getting togged up to go out on the bike with lights etc compared to slipping on a pair if shoes etc!

Having said that some of my favourite rides have been around new year, forest of Bowland this year and the peak District a few years back.

Of course walking is good for the bone density where as cycling not so much. On days I don’t cycle I make sure to get a decent walk in.
This:okay:
Somedays i can talk myself out of a bike ride(especially in the winter).I start with good intentions but as the morning goes on i think to myself i can't be bothered now, what with faffing around getting everything i need.
That's when i think i'll go on a nice long walk instead.No need to get dressed up,4-5 miles at a brisk pace getting out in the fresh air and it's good exercise.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This:okay:
Somedays i can talk myself out of a bike ride(especially in the winter).I start with good intentions but as the morning goes on i think to myself i can't be bothered now, what with faffing around getting everything i need.
That's when i think i'll go on a nice long walk instead.No need to get dressed up,4-5 miles at a brisk pace getting out in the fresh air and it's good exercise.

Sadly, I've almost lost interest in cycling over the last several months. I'm really enjoying my walking with an occasional jog too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Obviously don’t live in UK. Possible to ride year round in UK.

Ok if you have a bike equipped for snow and ice plus a good circulation 🥶
There are days when I don't even attempt it when the roads are to dicey.
Factor in reynauds where I can be sweating and have good winter gear and still loose circulation in my hands and feet.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ok if you have a bike equipped for snow and ice plus a good circulation 🥶

Come on, we don’t get snow and iced up roads for weeks on end in the uk. Quite a few days are actually quite mild above 10C. If you have poor circulation you just keep your rides to no more than an hour or two at a time and try and get out mid day to early afternoon when it’s often the warmest.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Come on, we don’t get snow and iced up roads for weeks on end in the uk. Quite a few days are actually quite mild above 10C. If you have poor circulation you just keep your rides to no more than an hour or two at a time and try and get out mid day to early afternoon when it’s often the warmest.

commuting on shifts means i can be riding at 4,30 am or after midnight
we can get icy roads for a week or so dependant on the local conditions , yes this winter so far means its onlty been a couple of days at a time so far but it still proves the reinforces that you cant ride every day of the year .
Yesterday was a prime example i had 2 pairs of thermal gloves on , overshoes , base layer. ls jersey , gilet , armwarmers , leggings i was warm to the point of being overwarm but my hands and feet shut down .
Similar to today i took the kids to the local play adventure farm thing and even though i had a winter coat on , gloves and a hat ( they were running around coatless ) and everyone else was just in jackets i was cold and my hands went white in my pockets ,

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
fwiw - I've read that walking 1 mile, burns the same # of calories as running 1 mile

You what they say: Opinions are like ars………. Everyone’s got one !

But: for what it’s worth - our office Manageress is quite the runner, technician, dietician, a well trained nutritionist and highly qualified running coach.

She will tell you exactly the same !

tyred

Legendary Member
It's something I've often wondered myself. I always start the day with a four mile walk before breakfast which I do in an hour. I do it around town so on pavement but involving some hills. I walk everywhere in town and never use my car locally.

At this time of year, weekday bikes rides if I do them will usually be an 18 mile circuit on a single speed Raleigh Pioneer. Weekend rides may be longer and more varied but I am not really a fast rider. I just haven't been as motivated to cycle this winter as usual. I enjoy it when I do but I often find reasons not to. I just have never felt as comfortable on the roads since being knocked off by a car in 2021.

I also have gone back to attending dance classes which is good exercise too.

I sometimes try to work out how many calories I burn using various calculators on line but I just want to enjoy my exercise without making it complicated.

All the weight I put on while laid up after my accident is slowly coming off now so that's good enough for me.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I don't exercise to burn calories. When I want to reduce my available calories I eat and drink less... Exercise is for health, fitness, and fun!

I believe the majority of fitness coaches, nutritionists etc, etc agree with this from the research out there.
Best way to lose fat is to be in a calorific defect. Obviously exercise will contribute to this but shouldn't be considered the main.
I'm finding the same, eat and drink less to lose the weight and exercising to improve my cardio ready for cycling season. Exercising, I've found, improves my mental health more than anything. Endorphins and all that jazz

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't exercise to burn calories. When I want to reduce my available calories I eat and drink less... Exercise is for health, fitness, and fun!

Agree. Drink more beer and eat crisps and snacks and weight creeps up to a new heavier equilibrium. Cut out the snacking and don’t go mad on the beer and the weight drops to a lighter equilibrium.

I never see exercise as a way to try and control weight, or a reason to reward myself with a snack. I think that way would lead to a bad relationship with exercise, food and weight / body image.

Obviously a long multi hour ride I’ll need to eat and drink during it. But shorter rides that’s not necessary.

Top Bottom