Exercise more effective than medicine to manage mental health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's true for me.

I need exercise to be outdoors. Walking, gardening and cycling are all brilliant, but exercising in a gym doesn't do it for me at all.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's true for me.

I need exercise to be outdoors. Walking, gardening and cycling are all brilliant, but exercising in a gym doesn't do it for me at all.

Ditto. I have wasted lots of money over the years buying treadmills, indoor bikes and joining gyms, but it's just not for me either. I absolutely detest exercising indoors and would rather have a walk or run in the pouring rain than on a treadmill. I still have a small, cheap one but won't use it unless it's actually dangerous to go out which doesn't happen very often.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Can’t comment reference exercise vs medicine: as I’ve never taken anything to help stress.

However compared to pretty much anything else (Trying to avoid it, Talking about it, Lessening exposure to it, Ignoring it etc) - it’s about as; or more effective as anything else for me.

I don’t have a religious exercise routine. But if work has me stressed (And that’s about all that stresses me) - I will make time to exercise.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Ditto. I have wasted lots of money over the years buying treadmills, indoor bikes and joining gyms, but it's just not for me either. I absolutely detest exercising indoors and would rather have a walk or run in the pouring rain than on a treadmill. I still have a small, cheap one but won't use it unless it's actually dangerous to go out which doesn't happen very often.

I worked with a lady who spent 2K on a gym membership and went twice.I would say to anyone who was unsure about the gym or an irratic attender to just pay as you go with the council gym. then its just a fiver or whatever per session.
I dont like gyms, so I just use my bike or walk. I like the fresh air as well.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Whilst it is always going to help no question about it, Mental health isn't and doesn't have a one size fits all remedy. Having had 2 members of family commit suicide, one just at the beginning of last summer, 20 years after the love of her life died of cancer at 36 years old and couldn't get over it and the other in 1999 it is without a question something that shouldn't all be lumped in one category. Not to lower the tone, but mental health care in this country is an after thought compared to other illnesses. But for me personally, exercise changed my life in more ways than one.

Jameshow

Veteran
Whilst it is always going to help no question about it, Mental health isn't and doesn't have a one size fits all remedy. Having had 2 members of family commit suicide, one just at the beginning of last summer, 20 years after the love of her life died of cancer at 36 years old and couldn't get over it and the other in 1999 it is without a question something that shouldn't all be lumped in one category. Not to lower the tone, but mental health care in this country is an after thought compared to other illnesses. But for me personally, exercise changed my life in more ways than one.

My thoughts and sympathy go out to you....

Top Bottom