Exile On Main St revisited

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've just got the new issue of EOMS with ten previously unreleased tracks. I first bought the album years ago but never quite got it. There were bits I liked but it mostly seemed somehow ragged but this morning for the first time in probably two decades I sat down and properly listened to it again and am as a result proud to agree to its status as an all time classic. I'd give all but two tracks five stars and I think the sequence of the first five songs is probably one of the all time great achievements in rock. Most bands would probably have killed to have come up with just one of them on an album.

That said, it would not be my first recommendation for somebody wanting to get started with the Stones. The albums I would name for that would be:

1. Let It Bleed.
2. Sticky Fingers.
3. It's Only Rock And Roll.

My treat for this afternoon is the new boxed reissue of Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Deep joy!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I bought that album after I'd been totally blown away by what remains the best ever Stones album, 'Beggars Banquet' but I was disappointed with 'Exile' as I thought it wasn't in the same league as BB.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was rather disappointed with Exile on Main St too. I think I only liked one or two tracks. Wasn't Sweet Virginia and Brown Sugar on that record?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bought the original on cassette tape. I still have it but haven't listened to it for years as tape quality now seems so naff, but it was my favourite album and I will get the newly released version too.

I recently re-discovered Sticky Fingers after replacing the original cassette with a download from itunes, what a fantastic album it was without a duff track on it. The Stones music from that period has stood the test of time.

Davidc

Guru
I have a CD copy of my 1972 vinyl copy of EOMS. Trouble is that by the time it got transferred the LP was well worn, so will be following Andy's example and buying the remastered CD.

Although EOMS was a great album my order of preference is still Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, Exile.

Another I'm glad I bought is the CD The London Years which has all of the early stuff and the singles from the 60s.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I never quite got EOMS. Beggars Banquet was great. Get Yer Ya Yas Out... fantastic..

PaulB

Legendary Member
From 'Beggars Banquet' comes what I still rate as the best Rolling Stones song ever. Prodigal Son. OutSTANDing in every regard. And that's only JUST better than a lot of other GREAT songs on that album!

Top Bottom