Existing customer? B@#$%r off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Have to admit, if it's only £20 to £30 I normally just leave it, but this year Saga has bumped my car insurance up yet again by a hefty amount and I can now save £100 by moving so looks like I will be off.
When I turned 50 I excitedly called Saga for a quote, but all they did was bend me over and whip my keks down in readiness for a good shafting. Its not even like they were in the ballpark, but were 40 or 50% over the typical big name quote.

"But Sir, its a Rolls Royce level of cover", they cried when I turned them down. Do I look like Alan Sugar?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Insurance, gas and electric, broadband, etc., I usually swap supplier every year as for each of them as when you add up the savings for all those utilities you can save a packet. Saving £10 on one, £40 on another, etc. it all adds up!

And then I can spend the savings on bikes and related paraphernalia :whistle:

I've just put the order through to swap broadband provider. The whole exercise took me less than 10 minutes. And I shall receive 6x the speed of my current broadband for a difference of £3 ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
because the companies know that coming up to renewal most will simply click to renew

This is my major bugbear with insurance companies, they all (in my experience) force you into automatic renewal by default. And you can’t simply tick a box to opt out, they always make you call them up.

That setup ought to be illegal.

It doesn't seem to make sense when you look at your own insurance

but I would be willing to bet an old inner tube (I'm not a betting person) that these companies have analysed the hell out of it and they make a huge profit from people just renewing

They certainly made a packet from my wife before she moved in with me - same energy supplier for many years and House Insurance was triple mine for a smaller house!!!!

I used to work for a mail order company - it was deliberately made easy to return things if you wanted to
but - obviously - sometimes someone ordered something but it turned out to be out-of-stock - so a substitute was sent instead

some of the subs were just plain stupid - e.g. one year before Christmas all the dolls prams ran out - so they sent out a toy machine gun instead (presumably it wasn't selling well)
Very few ever got returned - and yes - they were then paid for with no problems

postman

Legendary Member
Loyalty is a word no company uses.Ours was home and house contents insurance.Mrs P asked why and got fobbed off.So she changed,the other company came back with a reduced offer once she told them she was leaving.He offered a reduced rate then,he was told too late you should have made the offer earlier.November I left CTC or Cycling UK as it is now.Premium went up.This year when get started it will be with British Cycling and I can get Mrs P covered for less money it does Include our bank so it must be some special arrrangement.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
These companies have been shafting people for too long. I gave a hearty cheer when the Supreme Court ordered them to cough for covid business losses.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This is my major bugbear with insurance companies, they all (in my experience) force you into automatic renewal by default. And you can’t simply tick a box to opt out, they always make you call them up.

That setup ought to be illegal.
The Camping and Caravan Club did not even bother to tell me they were not renewing my policy. I waited on the renewal offer and when it did not arrive I phoned them. Turns out I was over 70 so they were no longer interested. Bad manners at best.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When I had a kit car in the 90s, there were two main insurance providers for them.
Each one did a good introductory offer, then jacked the price up in the second year.
You can see where this is going...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It happens to me every 18 months with Plusnet. They used to just put the monthly price up without reminding me that the 'special offer' contract price had come to an end. Now they at least remind me that it is going to happen. I get in touch and tell them that the new price is too high so I will be switching to their rival, TalkTalk. Plusnet then inform me that I can take out another 18 month contract at a special offer price... :whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Our Gas/Electric "deal" (Eon) comes to an end in a week or so. They (eon) sent a quote for their "best deal for me".

As is my usual practice, I went on a couple of comparison sites, to check prices.

British Gas came out as significantly cheaper, so, I instigated the switch dialogue.

Then, Eon rang me offering a better deal. I told them the best time to offer their "best deal" was BEFORE I switched, not after.

Last few years I was with Octopus for Energy - before that is was Bulb
This year Green Energy Network was cheaper - a bit - so I switched
With both Octopus and Bulb their price remained competitive year on year - and I did check every year

So some companies can do it - just generally not the big ones

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It happens to me every 18 months with Plusnet. They used to just put the monthly price up without reminding me that the 'special offer' contract price had come to an end. Now they at least remind me that it is going to happen. I get in touch and tell them that the new price is too high so I will be switching to their rival, TalkTalk. Plusnet then inform me that I can take out another 18 month contract at a special offer price... :whistle:
I have exactly the same experience with Plusnet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Scottish Power can go and do one; as can NPower.
I have been with both for my energy supplier at some point in the past, but swore blind that neither would ever get a penny again.
This year I am with Octopus energy who seem ok, but will no doubt have to play silly games at renewal time and look elsewhere. Guaranteed I will NOT be going to Scottish Power or NPower.

Top Bottom