Exiting Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Yes i am talking about driving in a car.
I don't get it that some people are suggesting it's ok to be in the right lane and then turn into a single lane straight ahead because what will happen(and it happened to me)is that two cars are exiting at the same time into one lane.
I know i took my test yonks ago but i was always taught left lane for straight ahead if exiting to a single lane.

I have a ‘new-ish’ one on my ride home from work
It’s at the bottom of a (about) 1-in-15 hill

The approach develops into 2 lanes
Left = left-turn
Right = straight ahead/right (s/a is blocked as it’s a housing development)

The amount of drivers who come down the left (painted Road-markings) & navigate the outside to go right is high
Invariably trying to get round it faster than l can corner
On a couple of occasions, l’ve had to almost stop due to a cock-womble, not showing sense, or (quite literally) reading the road

If anyone’s local to Wakefield, l’m referring to the one on the ‘Relief Road’ below Stanley Hall & Clarke Hall, where the redirected Aberford Road joins
I carry on, along Fox Way, towards Nellie Spindler Drive

Alex321

Veteran
Yes i am talking about driving in a car.
I don't get it that some people are suggesting it's ok to be in the right lane and then turn into a single lane straight ahead because what will happen(and it happened to me)is that two cars are exiting at the same time into one lane.
I know i took my test yonks ago but i was always taught left lane for straight ahead if exiting to a single lane.

If you took it yonks ago, then you were not taught according to what the HC said at the time.

The change to the wording I quoted above is fairly recent, previously (including when I took my test) it said use either lane for straight on.

midlife

Guru
Going straight ahead I thought that it was the left lane of the entrance to a roundabout that you use, unless it's a continuation of a dual carriageway when you can use either. (in absence of road markings)

D

Deleted member 26715

Going straight ahead I thought that it was the left lane of the entrance to a roundabout that you use, unless it's a continuation of a dual carriageway when you can use either. (in absence of road markings)

Exactly.....well said.:okay:
But you would be expected to stay in the left hand lane for the length of the DC until you indicated to move out into the outer lane near the junction, not decide at the previous roundabout to go into he outer lane

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
If you took it yonks ago, then you were not taught according to what the HC said at the time.

The change to the wording I quoted above is fairly recent, previously (including when I took my test) it said use either lane for straight on.
Sorry but you are wrong.
So let's say for instance you are in the right lane of the roundabout and you take the second exit(straight on)and the car next to you is on the left lane and takes the same exit.What do you think is going to happen?

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry but you are wrong.
So let's say for instance you are in the right lane of the roundabout and you take the second exit(straight on)and the car next to you is on the left lane and takes the same exit.What do you think is going to happen?

You play nicely & you filter in alternatively as you're supposed to do

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry but you are wrong.

No, I'm not wrong. That is absolutely what the Highway code used to say.

Whether it is actually a valid thing tio do is another question

D

Deleted member 26715

D

Deleted member 26715

Provided, of course, that you know in advance that the two-lane road on which you are entering the roundabout is going to exit as a single lane.

Do you mean you drive with your physic powers, I got caught out on the way to Manchester airport in both cases, approached in RH lane to go straight forward as per lane markings only to find as I left it immediately dropped to 1 lane & those on the left were reluctant to allow me to merge. Then later on I approached in the left lane & again immediately as I left the roundabout it immediately dropped to 1 lane & I had a car to my right, I eased off & left them a gap to drop into, it's not rocket science or combative warfare.

Top Bottom