Exiting Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I originally read the thread as Exciting Roundabouts :laugh:

That would be the one in Hemel Hempstead (I think) which is a roundabout surrounded by 5 or 6 other roundabouts, it works perfectly if people know & use the same rules, unfortunately not everybody should be allowed a licence.

Alex321

Veteran
That would be the one in Hemel Hempstead (I think) which is a roundabout surrounded by 5 or 6 other roundabouts, it works perfectly if people know & use the same rules, unfortunately not everybody should be allowed a licence.

There is a similar one in Swindon, known locally as the "magic roundabout". I had to negotiate it a few times when I worked in Swindon, and found it actually seemed to work much better than you might expect.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is a similar one in Swindon, known locally as the "magic roundabout". I had to negotiate it a few times when I worked in Swindon, and found it actually seemed to work much better than you might expect.

Maybe I'm wrong & it's Swindon

Edit:- it is Hemel or at least the one I was thinking of

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 12.37.38.png

Last edited by a moderator:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We do the Hemel one on the bikes at times, its not too bad to negotiate as the traffic speeds are generally pretty slow.

It actually works very well, its sort of a roundabout you can go both ways around :laugh:

the swindon one has a roundabout in the middle of 5 or 6 others, hemel is just 6 linked mini-Rs

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
No, I'm not wrong. That is absolutely what the Highway code used to say.

Whether it is actually a valid thing tio do is another question
I was always taught to stay in the left lane by my driving instructors but if it said something different in the HC i'll take your word for it.
I get it if people are strangers to a certain roundabout and might think there's a double lane on exit but i think it's mostly people trying to get an advantage on you.ie if i go faster i'll reach the exit before you.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was always taught to stay in the left lane by my driving instructors but if it said something different in the HC i'll take your word for it.
I get it if people are strangers to a certain roundabout and might think there's a double lane on exit but i think it's mostly people trying to get an advantage on you.ie if i go faster i'll reach the exit before you.
We clearly disagree on this, if the road marking say you can use both lanes to go straight forward & there are cars already in the left lane & nothing/less in the right lane then you are free to join that lane. This is what I was taught on my advanced motorcycle test, but I did also fail my first car test for not changing lanes to the left on a 2 lane one way street, so you're are actually not wrong, you're just out of date.

Top Bottom