Expat pleasures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

Sadly I am allergic to most cheese except Dairylea. And Laughing Cow.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Any cheese except blue cheese. Melted brie on black pud sounds the business...will give that a go! (green tongue sticky-outy smiley)

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
We can get Cheddar here, and bring back and freeze Red Leicester and Double Gloucester. If you defrost these faily slowly, they keep their original consistency (give or take). Cathedral City is best, as it is wrapped in Britain and remains fresh, whereas normally imported Cheddar is often starting to go moldy.

Out of the more 'local' cheeses, we like Old Amsterdam, which though crumbly has a rich taste not unlike Cheddar, and the unpronouncable Südtiroler Bergbauernkäse, which comes from German-speaking Italy (the South Tyrol). Several Swiss cheeses are nice, but I am always a tad wary of using unpasteurised milk. Still, haven't snuffed it from eating such cheese yet.

Also like blue cheese, but never understood why it doesn't make you ill, as it is only really moldy cheese anyway.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
What I really miss is Branston Pickle and Branston Fruity Sauce, although you can get the latter in Galeria Kaufhof in Oldenburg. Unfortunately Oldenburg is right at the other end of the country.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Andy in Sig said:
What I really miss is Branston Pickle and Branston Fruity Sauce, although you can get the latter in Galeria Kaufhof in Oldenburg. Unfortunately Oldenburg is right at the other end of the country.

There is an English shop called Piccadilly in Pforzheim where you should be able to get most of what you miss of English culinary delights (assuming they sell much the same as the Heidelberg outfit). Still a fair way to go, but not quite as far as Oldenburg.

We have managed to convert our neighbours to being cheese-with-Branston fans, the only Germans so far. If it really caught on, could be the begining of an import business which would make me a millionaire in no time!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for the tip. Up to now Pforzheim has just been a place where you leave the motorway if there's a jam. Maybe it's got a point after all. I'll try to get up there before September.

This thread has matured a little

Unlike some of the posters on here! ;)

Have you been waiting to post that 'gag' since 2007?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Comte is the best cheese in the whole universe.
But having said that, I can't think of many cheeses I don't like

As a point of order, cheese should be removed from the fridge for at least an hour before eating. It's even better when it's sweaty.

Top Bottom