Expensive wheels - would I notice a difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a Roubaix with Aksium wheels and Roubaix tyres. The combinations works for me but I'm curious to know if I really would notice any difference if I upgraded to a more expensive wheelset. I appreciate that a lighter wheel will reduce the overall weight of the bike and accelerate faster but would it really make THAT much difference that it would be worth the expense?

What if I just upgraded to Kysriums?

AlanW

Guru
All depends on where you draw the line at what is expensive really?

But I when comparing your wheels with the Kysrium SL's for example, then I would have to say yes, you would notice a difference.

Not only are the SL's lighter, but they are also a lot stiffer, which is another a key factor.

Certainly for climbing, you would notice a huge difference between the two.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Have you got a friend who'd be willing to let you test ride a pair? That might be the best way to find out if it's worth it or not.

Steve GT

I upgraded from Aksium to the cheapest version of the Krysiums - the Equippe. I love them and immediately felt a big difference.

I think you would notice a pair of decent lightweight wheels like the Mavic K SL's as the better hubs and stiffer spoke/rim arrangement transmits power a lot better - assuming that the frame is reasonably stiff to pass on the benefit.

I'd also bear in mind that just pedalling with these wheels is a lot more pleasurable - it's not all about going faster.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"An ounce off the wheels equals a pound off the frame." Old saying popular with blokes called Len.

brockers

Bear in mind that it's not all about weight saved at the rim. This sort of thing gets discussed endlessly on Weightweenies and the like, complete with differential equations and everything. The consensus is that the any real difference is down to the overall weight of the wheel, which, as a proportion of bike plus rider, is absolutely miniscule. The micro-accelerations you might get when stamping on the pedals with the lower inertia rim gets cancelled out by the flywheel effect, with Aero effectively trumping weight on anything up to 10% climbs. Remember that some of the fastest wheels measured (and backed up by reality-testing) are Mavic Cosmics - even the alloy ones weighing in at 1800gms. Stiffness is pretty important though, and that's what you're really going to notice. So even a modest set of 'handbuilts' - say Open Pro on Hope/Novatech with spoke tension dialled in by a builder who knows your weight and what the wheels are going to be subjected to, can be made to feel very stiff. Of course you'd also need to treat yourself to some fast race tyres - say Veloflexes, Open Corsas, Conti GPs or ProRaces and some light tubes. Pump 'em up hard, so they make a nice humming noise on tarmac and you'll certainly notice a difference.

And sorry to be pedantic, but it's spelled K-s-y-r-i-u-m (you don't pronounce the 'K').

briank

Globalti said:
I have a Roubaix with Aksium wheels and Roubaix tyres. The combinations works for me but I'm curious to know if I really would notice any difference if I upgraded to a more expensive wheelset.

Yes.

But if you want an improvement which is more clearly "worth the expense", try changing your humdrum tyres for ones which will really hum - any of those mentioned by brockers would be fine.

02GF74

Über Member
Steve GT said:
I upgraded from Aksium to the cheapest version of the Krysiums - the Equippe. I love them and immediately felt a big difference.

his wallet was a lot lighter, definitely helps on the climbs.;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
come on folks put some numbers on these claims, a series of much easier, night & day, blah de blah....etc. That just comes across as self justification for financial outlay... get specific you wusses:-

changed from x to y and my average speed went up by 3mph

since changing from x to y I now expend 200 watts less for the same results

it used to take me 14 minutes to go up Ditchling Beacon it now takes 3 minutes:ohmy:

my butt used to ache like mad and I my hands were so numb I couldn't pick my nose until I switched to x wheels

Specifics folks, the man needs to know there will be a measurable improvement, other than wallet shrinking and bragging rights. Otherwise this all sounds like the guff people trot out, that struggle to generate enough power to disturb the skin on a rice pudding, to support clipless pedal systems:evil:

Crankarm

Guru
N +1.

:biggrin:.

I would do some training to improve your leg power and stamina first. Find a nearby long steep hill, ride up and down it fast until you can ride no more or puke. Repeat for remaining 6 days of the week :angry:. You will be able to climb faster and for longer as your fitness improves. You will also be smug for saving yourself a few ££££s.

Sam Kennedy

I got myself some Planet X Model B's - £100 for the set, 1600g per pair.
They are light, stiff, look nice, and spin up nicely. I definitely noticed a difference in acceleration, but not something I would pay more than £100 for to be honest.

PX Wheels are the best value(lightness,stiffness,quality) for money (£100). :angry:

Top Bottom