Experiences moving to a lower gearing ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
I'm probably over thinking things, but here goes ...

I've ridden 48x18 (fixed) for years, and the cruise at 100RPM and 20mph feels just great, but, some mornings I'm feeling a tad ponderous, and do wonder if I should move to a lower gear. I know, it's straight forward enough to change. However, given the length of time I've been riding the one gear, and my average fixed mileage a week of 300+ I do wonder if it's that straight forward (told you I was over thinking things).

On my road bike I definitely spin a lower gear (I think that's right) but the feel on the road bike is completely different to fixed and I don't have to worry about silly cadences down hill. 30 downhill is currently 150ish, if I went to something like 44x18 that would become 160ish, and faster would be even worse.

So, anybody else made the change after many years/miles of legs and mind becoming accustomed to a particular rhythm?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How about 'just' trying to change your cadence, I know that could be difficult after all this time, but it is free to try.

bonker

Guru
Give it a whirl, you can always change back. I recently went from 19 on the back to 18, my legs struggled to notice the difference but I could see the positive effect on my speed right away. I would definitely look at changing the rear sprocket rather than the chainring. Try a bit at a time and see how it goes, that way you could stick with the same chain length and switch it around if it's not working.

When I couldn't commute I took to finding hills to ride fixed at the weekend. You'd be amazed what's possible on a fixed and I'm an old git.

I normally ride 45/15 as it's pancake flat where I live,I tried going down to 42/16 but found I couldn't maintain a decent speed without spinning like crazy.

Even when I lived up in the hills i was running 48/17, so Iv'e only gone up a little now I'm on the Cheshire Plain,It's what suits me anyway.

Sharky

Guru
Have you tried riding a SS(freewheel) with a slightly lower gear? I persevered with a fixed for a long time, but riding the Kent's North Down's roads, it is just too hilly for me. Surprisingly, the so called "flywheel" effect is still present when using a SS and the comfort on the real fast descents is really appreciated. Now riding a 44x17 freewheel.

But still ride fixed for time trials, with a much bigger gear, but TT roads are generally quite flat apart from the occasional bridge.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I still like 52 x 20 (almost the same as 48 x 18, just a bit smoother) but I used more like 67" for winter commuting (41 x 15 on 26" x 1.35) and never noticed. When you have to grind into a 30mph headwind first thing of a morning, every little helps. In general, use the smallest gear that will get you down the biggest hill without the need for drag-braking; people who run a rear brake can get away with this sort of abuse by alternating front and rear brakes, but a dragging front brake only can pop a tyre off.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm probably over thinking things, but here goes ...

I've ridden 48x18 (fixed) for years, and the cruise at 100RPM and 20mph feels just great, but, some mornings I'm feeling a tad ponderous, and do wonder if I should move to a lower gear. I know, it's straight forward enough to change. However, given the length of time I've been riding the one gear, and my average fixed mileage a week of 300+ I do wonder if it's that straight forward (told you I was over thinking things).

On my road bike I definitely spin a lower gear (I think that's right) but the feel on the road bike is completely different to fixed and I don't have to worry about silly cadences down hill. 30 downhill is currently 150ish, if I went to something like 44x18 that would become 160ish, and faster would be even worse.

So, anybody else made the change after many years/miles of legs and mind becoming accustomed to a particular rhythm?

Go for the middle ground and use a 46 X 18. I'm using 44 X 18 and it suits me and the rolling Warwickshire countryside I usually ride on, but I do have to spin on the descents.

colly

Re member eR
48 x 18 for me at the moment which I put on after a spell away from riding. The 48 x 16 I had on before was just a tad too much effort.

Top Bottom