(Experiment) Adding Etap Front Derailleur to a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys,
Ive been modifying my Brompton here in New York City and enjoying some new additions - Chris King 24mm ThreadFit BB - Ultegra R8000 (50/34) cranks and 170mm arms - Stages Left side Power meter for the Ultegra setup - Speedplay pedal with custom MKS style quick release
Id like to add a Front Derailleur to my setup, so I can use both chain rings, and climb up hills easier with the 34T ring. My bike is the 6 speed, so i will have 3 deraiullers in the end!

I bought a FD mount and it has the braze-on style mounting but the post is very vertical. Not sure if you guys recommend this cheapy one, or something better. Others have a more angled post to attach to.
Ill include pics below here
https://switchboxcontrol.com/frontderailleur
I purchased a SRAM Force FD and had issues with clearance. The body of the unit is so beefy that the crank arms will hit it, with just 1mm of issue there. I thought maybe to sand it down or etc, but the bike shop advised against it. Then the chain rests on the FD cage and its not long enough or angled, that cage. Another big speed bump.
Is there anyway to do it? Or just get an Ultegra cable style FD which looks longer and thinner, and use a friction shifter, no etap.
Thanks for any advice on the FD setup, friction shifter or the mount.
Phillip p.s. the Brompton employee who just did the big Lands End tour, installed a FD on same setup as me. And looks like they did a welded on braze-on mount and angled, and used an old school Dura-ace FD, maybe because its thinner and less bulky for the same issues I found (Crank arms catching and folding issues).

Top Bottom