Exploding inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
Ah. I thought he was talking about repairing at the side of the road vs replace and then repair at home at your lesiure.

I'm guessing there's also the issue that if you repair a tube and then it goes bang, you've only 'wasted' an old tube, whereas if you explode a brand new one, you're still left with the old one to repair...

The first time it happened to me, it was in our kitchen, and that made us jump a bit! The second time, it got me all the way to campus, and then exploded while I was in the library - I came back to find a flat tyre. Bet that made a few passers-by jump...:blush:

Tynan

Veteran
My current and old bike has had the same rear tube in it for about ten years and with about twenty or thirty patches, almost all done at the side of the road, so quicker, cheaper and as effective, and it involves only a small part of the tyre being unseated so far less chance of things going wrong

and yes, I actually do have patches on top of patches

plus you can can carry a small repair kit that does for many punctures rather than a not so small tube that does for one, this forum is rife with people saying their brand new tube went pop

PrettyboyTim

Tynan said:
My current and old bike has had the same rear tube in it for about ten years and with about twenty or thirty patches, almost all done at the side of the road, so quicker, cheaper and as effective, and it involves only a small part of the tyre being unseated so far less chance of things going wrong

Yeah, I guess that's quite a good point!

Top Bottom