1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploding inner tubes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Panter, 15 Oct 2007.

1. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

I had a snakebite on the way home today (note to self, check tyre pressures before every ride :biggrin: ) and duly changed the tube.

On reinflating it, it explodded without warning (whilst the pressure was still pretty low) and left a big starburst patterened hole.

I exclaimed "Oh dear" or words pretty much unlike that and stuffed tube number 2 in. Reinflated it and got home with no problems.

Why would the first one explode like that? its not the first time either, I've had it happen on the hybrid too.

Could I be pinching the tube, or just bad luck maybe ?

Your views appreciated, as always :rolleyes:

2. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Possibly the tyre wasn't seated properly so allowed the tube to blow out when you got a bit of pressure in?

3. johnr

johnr Über Member

You should have seen our cats move when it happened to me!

4. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

You've shifted cheap narrow elastic band rim-tape maybe.

Find where, rip up a fag packet and stick a bit of of carboard in there

5. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I had a regulator hose explode on me once on a dive trip...scared the ****ing life out of me

6. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

You said you were fearless on another thread

7. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

I had one explode straight after fitting a new tyre last year.

I'd just put the bike away and locked it up when I heard the bang. The tube had forced its way out and lifted a section of the tyre off the rim in the process. Turned out the tyre beading that hooks it into the rim was defective - looked like the machine had 'missed' moulding a small section of it. Shop said they'd never seen it happen before with that make of tyre (£20+ so not exactly budget) and they replaced it.

I resisted the temptation to see this as a comment on my tyre fitting skills - just! :biggrin:

8. Panter

Thanks Guys.

Just one of those things then. I must admit I did rush it so the tyre not being seated properly, or the tube being pinched seem the most likely.

The rim tape seemed to be fine.

9. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

warped tyre?:biggrin::rolleyes:

10. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Happened to me last week...

Could be that you have a split in the tyrewall. That will cause the inner tube to try to push through and scrape against the jagged edge of the split....Kerboom!

If so, you'll need new tyre.....

11. Panter

Thanks guys, I'll have a thorough check of the sidewall but I didn't see any problems when I checked the tyre on fitting the second tube.

Could be, I may change it just to be safe :rolleyes:

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

another reason to repair rather than replace

13. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

What are the other reasons?

14. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

economy, less wasteful of resources...

I've had it happen to me, I think it turned out to be the tyre not seating properly on the rim.

I've never met anyone with a warped tyre, bonj seems to have them on the brain as the answer to everything...

15. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Ah. I thought he was talking about repairing at the side of the road vs replace and then repair at home at your lesiure.