Exploding inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I had a snakebite on the way home today (note to self, check tyre pressures before every ride :biggrin: ) and duly changed the tube.

On reinflating it, it explodded without warning (whilst the pressure was still pretty low) and left a big starburst patterened hole.

I exclaimed "Oh dear" or words pretty much unlike that and stuffed tube number 2 in. Reinflated it and got home with no problems.

Why would the first one explode like that? its not the first time either, I've had it happen on the hybrid too.

Could I be pinching the tube, or just bad luck maybe ?

Your views appreciated, as always :rolleyes:

Brock

Possibly the tyre wasn't seated properly so allowed the tube to blow out when you got a bit of pressure in?

Abitrary

You've shifted cheap narrow elastic band rim-tape maybe.

Find where, rip up a fag packet and stick a bit of of carboard in there

I had one explode straight after fitting a new tyre last year.

I'd just put the bike away and locked it up when I heard the bang. The tube had forced its way out and lifted a section of the tyre off the rim in the process. Turned out the tyre beading that hooks it into the rim was defective - looked like the machine had 'missed' moulding a small section of it. Shop said they'd never seen it happen before with that make of tyre (£20+ so not exactly budget) and they replaced it.

I resisted the temptation to see this as a comment on my tyre fitting skills - just! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Guys.

Just one of those things then. I must admit I did rush it so the tyre not being seated properly, or the tube being pinched seem the most likely.

The rim tape seemed to be fine.

bonj2

warped tyre?:biggrin::rolleyes:

ChrisW

Happened to me last week...

Could be that you have a split in the tyrewall. That will cause the inner tube to try to push through and scrape against the jagged edge of the split....Kerboom!

If so, you'll need new tyre.....

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
What are the other reasons?

economy, less wasteful of resources...

I've had it happen to me, I think it turned out to be the tyre not seating properly on the rim.

I've never met anyone with a warped tyre, bonj seems to have them on the brain as the answer to everything...

Top Bottom