Exporting/importing data with cycling computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking at getting a cycling computer - one with (at least basic) navigation. I've been looking at the Bryton 420, mainly as a balance between functionality and price. As a more general query though (although would be useful to know for the Bryton), is it possible with these devices - and apologies if there is lots of variation - to import/export a route manually? And by that I mean via a cable (presumably a usb) and avoiding using an app of any kind?

I ask this because at the start of lockdown I bought an Amazfit Bip watch just to get distance and speed etc. for my rides. Its been pretty good for the price but what I didn't realise was how many hoops I'd need to jump through to get the data onto Strava or equivalent. This is in large part because I'm not a smartphone user and have a fairly old Android tablet that wasn't compatible with the Amazfit app. I now have a tedious process for getting rides onto Strava that is reliant on my increasingly flakey tablet. If I bought a pricier computer then I'd be happy to use an app, I just don't have total confidence that my other tech is up it so I'd like a back up option which is via a cable onto a laptop. So, be able to create a route and get the gpx file onto the device then similarly export a gpx file for a ride I've done. Perhaps this is a really obvious thing, but it would be really good to confirm!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes. All bike GPS systems on the market use USB connections for charging, plus data transfer & firmware updates when connected to a desktop system. From what I can find online, the 420 saves ride data on FIT format, as many Garmin (& other) devices use. Strava (etc) can import those directly. It will load routes in GPX format, the usual standard. So if you don't want to, or can't , use the Bryton software, you don't need to. That simple.

Top Bottom