Extended the commute this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Good weather again, light wind at worst, but a bit nippy out. I set off half an hour earlier to extend my route by a couple of miles as I want to get fitter.

In the end I only managed 12 miles in total, man was I tired. The asthma has almost kept at bay too, but my legs were just dead. 12mph average then, not my best.. 26max down the hills (any faster and the poor road surfaces would have me off I reckon)

Anyone here do a really physical job? I dont think thats helped me much - having to graft.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I extended mine too - only by a mile and half or so, but that doubles this commute. I'm planning to add more and more gradually, although it will rely on getting up and out those few minutes earlier with each addition.

And I have a physical job (well, this job is, not the other one). Different sort of effort though, lots of lifting. Although I do ride the Maximus trike a couple of days a week - after that, my bike feels like gossamer!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Arch said:
I extended mine too - only by a mile and half or so, but that doubles this commute. I'm planning to add more and more gradually, although it will rely on getting up and out those few minutes earlier with each addition.

And I have a physical job (well, this job is, not the other one). Different sort of effort though, lots of lifting. Although I do ride the Maximus trike a couple of days a week - after that, my bike feels like gossamer!

My job is catering, but I do lots of lifting and stacking heavy goods on shelves. A load of hand washing... and sweeping up water from an industrial washing machine that is falling to bits. :biggrin:

Sailorchick

I can never get myself up early enough to take a longer route into work. I'm planning on extending my route home this evening though to 16 miles as I'm on my new bike. Hopefully it will stay dry for me.

beastie

Guru
downfader said:
My job is catering, but I do lots of lifting and stacking heavy goods on shelves. A load of hand washing... and sweeping up water from an industrial washing machine that is falling to bits. :tongue:

I am a chef and at the end of my eveing shift I would not enjoy my return home for the 4th journey of the day- except it's all downhill on the way home!

Does this mean I commute 10 or 20 times a week.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I stand on my feet for 8 hours, walking about trying to get someone who will talk to me. That makes my calves burn far more that any bike ride.

Maybe im just not riding hard enough

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sailorchick said:
I can never get myself up early enough to take a longer route into work. I'm planning on extending my route home this evening though to 16 miles as I'm on my new bike. Hopefully it will stay dry for me.

I dont mind getting up early tbh. Have done it for years. I've had mild insomnia too in the past, lol, so thats been a good reason to get out and ride when you wake at 5am. :smile:

Though annoyingly today I think I've realised some of the rougher roads have taken their toll. I've lost part of me front mudguard. :biggrin:

Top Bottom