Exterior woodwork painting... ballpark cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hi Guys... anyone in the P&D trade or anyone who's had their outside window frames painted recently, how much would I expect to pay for this to be repainted?

house.jpg

Seven sash windows, one door and frame (not the lintels, sills and mullions).

The window panes need re-puttying too.

All but one of the sashes have long since been painted shut, so it needn't be done properly (i.e. all beading and sashes removed and sanded down thoroughly before painting)... just patching the putty, undercoat and overcoat.

Any ideas? I've no idea if the ball park figure would be around £300, £700 or £1200.

To strip and restore I would estimate it based on two weeks labour.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Local diy type handy man £100 a day plus materials, id think 5-600 all in cash.
Professional wont be interested in a quick job unless its a cash weekender

Broadside

Guru
1 day for prep, 2 days for painting and to allow drying time between coats. I don’t know what day rates are around your area but I would base it on £250/day for one person, so providing they will work off a ladder and don’t hire a scaffold Tower I would expect a total bill around £800 including materials.

They're not going to be stripped and restored, just patched and repainted.

I know they should be fully stripped and restored, but the money just isn't there.
I meant to follow up on that but realised I was late for work. Sorry.
If you are going to the trouble of dismantling them you may as well strip them, if you just want them tarted up, then as Fossyant said, two days is plenty. It's hard to say without seeing what state they are in or knowing your expectations, some people are super picky others not so much. If they are gummed up badly both outside and inside and the putty is failing, two days for a nice looking, durable job may not be realistic.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
cheers for the replies guys.

My landlady is struggling to find someone to do the work. She's been let down twice just waiting to get quotes... so I've been considering doing it myself if she provides a scaffold and I provide a 'mates rate' quote.

If she goes for it, I'll start a thread titled "What do I need to know about putty?" :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
My experience, limited as it was, when i had 30 year old timber framed windows and the paint was peeling badly, i scraped off the loose stuff, sanded as well as i could with an electric sander, undercoated then glossed, all with decent'ish paint .
Looked lovely.
1 year later was another story, it was all coming off again :sad::laugh:

Maybe i should have primed, undercoated then glossed, i really put what i thought was enough effort into it to be happy i was doing a decent job....apparently not :whistle::laugh:

DG windows fitted a few years after,

Dave7

Legendary Member
My experience, limited as it was, when i had 30 year old timber framed windows and the paint was peeling badly, i scraped off the loose stuff, sanded as well as i could with an electric sander, undercoated then glossed, all with decent'ish paint .
Looked lovely.
1 year later was another story, it was all coming off again :sad::laugh:

Maybe i should have primed, undercoated then glossed, i really put what i thought was enough effort into it to be happy i was doing a decent job....apparently not :whistle::laugh:

DG windows fitted a few years after,
Some years ago I paid a pro painter to do our outside front (which is quite a lot).
Last year it was peeling badly. We have just had another guy in (a distant relative). He told us "no wonder its peeling, its not been primed".
He has done a superb job MUCH quicker and MUCH better than I could ever do.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Guys... anyone in the P&D trade or anyone who's had their outside window frames painted recently, how much would I expect to pay for this to be repainted?

View attachment 476931

Seven sash windows, one door and frame (not the lintels, sills and mullions).

The window panes need re-puttying too.

All but one of the sashes have long since been painted shut, so it needn't be done properly (i.e. all beading and sashes removed and sanded down thoroughly before painting)... just patching the putty, undercoat and overcoat.

Any ideas? I've no idea if the ball park figure would be around £300, £700 or £1200.
Out of interest, where (geographically) is it ?

Top Bottom