Extinction Rebellion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
They're doing it here too. I believe it's to do with the damage all the deliveries do to the environment, and also that Black Friday is an exploitative con.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
All the vans, delivering tiny packages?

ER don't make many friends, do they!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Amazon aren't exactly known for their friendly approach...

At least Extinction Rebellion are doing something. I know a number of folk who bang on about how evil Amazon are and still buy from them, using very flimsy excuses for doing so.
Not a huge Amazon fan either but they are not the only company delivering packages big and small ? They gonna blockade them all ?

AndyRM

XOXO
Not a huge Amazon fan either but they are not the only company delivering packages big and small ? They gonna blockade them all ?

Well, no, but they're probably the highest profile. Makes sense to target the biggest fish in the pond to make a statement.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would suggest its the other away around - anything the government does is merely pissing in the wind until people stop jetting abroad on holiday, driving their kids 400 metres to shcool, and buying sheetloads of useless consumer tat.

Were the ones driving the demand for everything that does the damage. The government does double duty as both a convenient scapegoat to blame, and an excuse for consumers to carry on as normal because they think its someone elses problem.

As for ER, well, various newspapers had looked into them and mostmof them are some of the biggest environmental hypocrites going, with their leaky houses and diesel cars (one guy has 6 diesel trucks andnrecently completed a 30,000 mile tour of Europe in one). Seeing as they appear to have little intention of practicing that which they preach the only reasonable conclusion is that they're doing this because they like causing trouble.

Remmber kids - despite what people think peaceful protest is not a right. Lawful peaceful protest is the correct term.

Last edited:
Good morning,
ER have a valid point. Unfortunately their protest methods alienate them to many.
Without wishing to divert this to a NACA thread.....

How many here remember Greenpeace and Friends Of The Earth?

It will always be debatable about how accurate or inaccurate they were but they did change the attitudes of many people, unfortunately this resulted in a membership boom and they lost their way. Instead of protests over planetary doom, they became protests over building something "in my back yard" and we will use the green argument to oppose it.

The argument that ER claim to be interested in has been pretty much won. I see ER generally as being uninformed and uninterested in becoming informed with what is actually happening and the difficulties of making changes. For example the UK National Grid has the capacity to supply around about one third of the demand from wind, when it is blowing. This wind capacity is expensive and a very very significant investment and doesn't just appear overnight.

... and one big easy step in CC/GW measures would be for the UK government to ban all civil flights, this would be very easy to do and there is very little that has to be air freighted that we can't do without, food from central Africa for example. Yet how few of the population would support such a move, especially ER members, once the cost in jobs and loss of mobility became clear? COVID has of course shown just how easy and expensive such a move would be.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
As individuals we can only go what we can and, like you, many have being doing something for years.

But we can all do more, however without governments doing more too we will only be having a minimal effect
Reusing carrier bags alienates nobody, although up until recently people did seem to think I was a bit weird for it, but neither does it do the slightest thing to address climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom