Extinction Rebellion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's so easy to sit and hurl abuse at people you don't know isn't it?

I decided to look into why they are protesting and some of the science behind it is quite scary. Carbon lag meaning the temp rise over the next 10 years is already locked in and that meaning we might utterly fail at 1.5ºC is why they think the issue is so urgent.
You know, they might have a point. We need to stop kicking the can down the road.
The cause is just but the method is the concern. If you read the media or even this forum, people are aware of the cause. You seem to have the impression that people are ignorant. Climate change is the single biggest issue of our generation. Even kids are aware of it.

PK99

Legendary Member
Climate change issue is easy to resolve:

1 Freeze developing world development as it is now

2 Reduce developed world population by 50%. Now.

The cause is just but the method is the concern. If you read the media or even this forum, people are aware of the cause. You seem to have the impression that people are ignorant. Climate change is the single biggest issue of our generation. Even kids are aware of it.
At what point should protestors stop? When there's been 1 front-page headline about their issue?

"Let's all go home and put our feet up, Climate Change is sorted - even Arrowfoot@Cyclechat is talking about it now! "

Personally I was going to give all my belongings to charity and become a hermit, only talking to those who visit to seek my low-impact living advice;

but a climate change protest delayed my drive to the Greenpeace offices, so fark the lot of them. I'm buying a Humvee, that'll show them - AND their silly "modus operandi"!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As for ER, well, various newspapers had looked into them and mostmof them are some of the biggest environmental hypocrites going, with their leaky houses and diesel cars (one guy has 6 diesel trucks andnrecently completed a 30,000 mile tour of Europe in one). Seeing as they appear to have little intention of practicing that which they preach the only reasonable conclusion is that they're doing this because they like causing trouble.

This gets me. It's a bit like Insulate Britain - sort the insulation out yourself, then you'll see the savings - don't expect the government to give hand outs. - Those protesting aren't the ones that need insulated houses - mainly well to do pensioners ! :whistle:

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
So you don't like protest? In general, or just when you don't agree with the cause?
In general. Particularly if it causes civil unrest.
Let's assume that a protest caused disruption to 10,000 vehicles. How few would have to be travelling to hospital, visiting seriously ill relatives etc for this to be, in your opinion, a legitimate and reasonable protest?

Is it nil? So if one vehicle in 10,000 is going to hospital, the other 9,999 are not, does that render the protest illegitimate? Or is it a bigger number than nil?

What if it was a million vehicles...would your hurdle rate still be nil?
If it causes distress to one; it's one too many. Remember the woman who was stopped from seeing her elderly terminally ill mother by ER?
Your arrogance as a self appointed champion to the 'ordinary folk' really pees me off.

If you were driving down the road they were blocking and hurled some abuse (or worse) that would really show them.

Then you could go home to your smug, self satisfied, well funded & comfortable existence to plot your next rant soon the CycleChat message board.

Rant over. :smile:
LOL - can't you do better than that? :laugh:

The arrogance of these self appointed eco warriors really pees me off.
Causing disruption to ordinary folk, who just want to get on with their lives. Causing untold problems for folk needing to travel to hospital appointments or visiting seriously ill relatives. Causing folk to miss important appointments or interviews.
The protesters then go home to their smug, self satisfied, well funded & comfortable existence to plot their next round of anti social disruption.
I just hope I'm not driving down a road that they are blocking - I fear that the temptation to do something outrageous would be too much.:ninja:
I don't want to be put into that situation, ever.
Rant over. :smile:
All this due to blockading an Amazon warehouse?

Wow, their tactics are more devious than I'd realised. Hit 'em where it hurts :notworthy:
As i am sure you know , blocking amazon warehouses isnt the only thing they are doing, foolishly gluing themselves to the road surface for example

Yes they do have a valid point , but should they be aloud to break the law while trying to get the message across, simple answer is no they shouldn't

I do not pretend to have the answers but after seeing the video of them blocking the road, impeding an ambulance , i can not agree with their tactics at all. just my opinion , thats all

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was Frankie Boyle who pointed out that Insulate Britain were the most hated people in the country for wanting us to insulate our houses - in an energy crisis - in a climate crisis.

I know they might be inconvenient to some - but someone needs to point out the error of our ways.

Climate change issue is easy to resolve:

2 Reduce developed world population by 50%. Now.

Steady on Thanos!

winjim

Smash the cistern
As it happens I drove past an A-azon warehouse today. The traffic was appalling*. Contributing in a fairly large way, at least to local congestion, was van after van after van leaving the site. Honestly it was a constant stream, a constant queue waiting to join the main road.

It was inconvenient.

*Yes I know, I was part of it too, no need to be a smartarse.

Joffey

Big Dosser

People are aware of climate change and the causes of this. Most people are ignorant of how seriously it will affect our lives in the short term.

Society doesn't really research anything anymore. It's all soundbites and people latch on to these. I'm as guilty as the next person of this. If people properly understood the consequences of inaction we'd not be arguing about it on here.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I would suggest its the other away around - anything the government does is merely pissing in the wind until people stop jetting abroad on holiday, driving their kids 400 metres to shcool, and buying sheetloads of useless consumer tat.

Were the ones driving the demand for everything that does the damage. The government does double duty as both a convenient scapegoat to blame, and an excuse for consumers to carry on as normal because they think its someone elses problem.

As for ER, well, various newspapers had looked into them and mostmof them are some of the biggest environmental hypocrites going, with their leaky houses and diesel cars (one guy has 6 diesel trucks andnrecently completed a 30,000 mile tour of Europe in one). Seeing as they appear to have little intention of practicing that which they preach the only reasonable conclusion is that they're doing this because they like causing trouble.

Remmber kids - despite what people think peaceful protest is not a right. Lawful peaceful protest is the correct term.

The bold part is where you are going wrong . They do the same to every protest group and rarely give any actual proof, but as we know they don't need to anymore because the damage is done with story and not the facts.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You've lost me here - did the above move increase or decrease food miles, local pollution etc?

(and have you looked at buying more stuff that is grown/made locally? You can live without stuff going to amazon before it comes to you! )
Getting your food delivered, like with parcels etc, reduces overall miles in vehicles. Your supermarket delivery guy has 20 (?) deliveries in one van so goes from supermarket to delivery round and back to supermarket. Unless you have a really weird, disparate round, this uses less CO2 than every customer travelling to the supermarket themselves

Same goes for Amazon, it reduces CO2 (assuming people were already going to buy what the bought via Amazon). Having a delivery person dropping off to multiple preplanned addresses is a very efficient way to deliver things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom