Extortionate Parking rates at Manchester Airport

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
... so not relevant to an extortionate parking rate thread? Or have I missed something?

Yes, you've missed the fact that the thread (like most) hasn't stayed exclusively on the title subject.

My post was just as relevant as the one I was responding to, neither were strictly on the topic of extortionate parking rates, but were perfectly valid in the context of the discussion at that point.

were perfectly valid in the context of the discussion at that point.

I'm sure they were! :smile: My reply was probably incomplete+unclear, sorry; I meant that I couldn't see what your beef was with the Cardiff situation. You don't need a bus, as parking is reasonably priced [and taxis are available for car-refuseniks].

Is that a fair summary? Are you complaining about something else, or just giving us helpful tips for travel out of Cardiff?? :P

Alex321

Veteran
I'm sure they were! :smile: My reply was probably incomplete+unclear, sorry; I meant that I couldn't see what your beef was with the Cardiff situation. You don't need a bus, as parking is reasonably priced [and taxis are available for car-refuseniks].

Is that a fair summary? Are you complaining about something else, or just giving us helpful tips for travel out of Cardiff?? :P

Ah. No, I have no beef with the Cardiff situation - for me. But if I lived further away, there is no train station there, so I couldn't use the train, which is the suggestion I was responding to.

Anybody who wanted to use the train to travel to Cardiff airport would have to train to Cardiff Central, then take a bus from there (hour and 5 Minutes), or change trains at Cardiff Central for one to Rhoose and Llantwit Major (one train per hour), then bus from either of those (7-8 minutes).

siadwell

Guru
I flew from Gatwick in June. To get around this I got my partner to drop me off just outside the airport at Maccy D's and did a 5 minute walk to the terminal. Did the same for when she picked me up.
Just watch out when picking up if there are any delays - a lot of places near Gatwick, including fast food places and petrol stations, have ANPR and a max free parking time of say 20 minutes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just watch out when picking up if there are any delays - a lot of places near Gatwick, including fast food places and petrol stations, have ANPR and a max free parking time of say 20 minutes.

We weren't parking. Just dropping off and picking up. No waiting.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I had an awful job at Gatwick, some years ago.
A very early shift, arriving that airport circa 3:30am, so no option of public transport. Driving was the only option.
Like most airport workers, I wasn't able to use the staff car parks (they seem to be reserved for the very privileged) , so I had to pay full price in the public car parks.
The cost was painful.

Makes me wonder how many airport workers today are losing a wedge of their earning to parking. Same with hospital staff, etc.

Eventually found a free parking outside the airport, but with a 15 minute walk in. Better than paying to park.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had an awful job at Gatwick, some years ago.
A very early shift, arriving that airport circa 3:30am, so no option of public transport. Driving was the only option.
Like most airport workers, I wasn't able to use the staff car parks (they seem to be reserved for the very privileged) , so I had to pay full price in the public car parks.
The cost was painful.

Makes me wonder how many airport workers today are losing a wedge of their earning to parking. Same with hospital staff, etc.

Eventually found a free parking outside the airport, but with a 15 minute walk in. Better than paying to park.

Staff get free parking at Gatwick with a shuttle bus to the airport. It’s just not very near, so adds 15mins each way to your daily commute. It’s free when they go on holiday too.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Staff get free parking at Gatwick with a shuttle bus to the airport. It’s just not very near, so adds 15mins each way to your daily commute. It’s free when they go on holiday too.

That's new, if available to all. Well, "new" in the 30 or so years since i worked there!

Leaving the van at Newcastle airport for a week and it's £97. Is that extortionate? If not perhaps time to use the numerous smaller airports.

Brandane

Legendary Member
At Glasgow airport, NCP car parks are extortionate. Public transport from where I live is not possible if you need to be at the airport before 8am on a weekday, 8.30am on Saturday, or 10.00am on a Sunday! Getting home from the airport is also a problem if you land any time after about 10pm..

Last time I used parking at Glasgow airport I went on yourparkingspace.co.uk.. It was pre covid (just) and I cannot remember the exact cost, but it was about £30 for 5 days. The space was actually in the secure car park of the Holiday Inn Express, less than 5 minutes from the terminal building - so closer than any of the long term NCP car parks. Completely hassle free. Have used the same site for parking at Portsmouth when taking my bike on the ferry to France. Again it was a cheap option, and was in the car park of another Holiday Inn Express, just off the A27 and a 15 minute cycle to and from the ferry terminal.

Julia9054

Guru
Parking is expensive whatever mode of transport. Cost us £90 to leave the car for a week at Hull ferry terminal. You just have to factor it in to the cost of your holiday.

Top Bottom