Extortionate Parking rates at Manchester Airport

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
For me, Luton Airport have always been the worst (best?) at finding ways to ensure they get as much money out of you as possible. They usually seem to be the first to come up with a new charge (or elevate an existing one to a higher level) and then later the other airports look at if it was successful and decide whether to copy it or not!
I've always thought Bristol were the worst. I think they are still the only airport I have traveled through with no free WiFi. Most give you at least 30 minutes free, and often more.

But I've never flown through Luton.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Free unlimited wifi at LTN.

Alex321

Veteran
Free unlimited wifi at LTN.

Bristol have changed now, and offer 2 hours free (then £5 for another 2 hours).

Their drop-off fee is £5 for up to 10 minutes. Or they have short stay parking close to the terminal at £5 for 20 minutes, £7 for 40 minutes, £10 for 60 minutes, £12 for 2 hours.

So they aren't actually all that bad now in comparison to some quoted above.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Use public transport to/from airport

There are always exceptions who can't for whatever reason. But for most, it is an easy and straightforward process to get the passenger away from the airport

As an example I used to fly a lot. I must have used the train to/from the airport from my relatively nearby town about a hundred times

Dave7

Legendary Member
We live 20 miles(ish) from Manchester airport. We just pre book a return taxi. It takes all the parking stress out and we just allow for it in the holiday cost.
The airport are still robbing gits though.

Tbh I can't see us ever flying again though for various reasons

Julia9054

Guru
Use public transport to/from airport

There are always exceptions who can't for whatever reason. But for most, it is an easy and straightforward process to get the passenger away from the airport

As an example I used to fly a lot. I must have used the train to/from the airport from my relatively nearby town about a hundred times

Only works if your home is on a convenient train line.
Speaking of trains, I have just spent my holiday travelling round Europe by train. An extremely civilised way to travel. We left on the first Saturday of the school hols and from the train we could see the horrendous queues of cars approaching Dover. Friends who have used Manchester airport in the last 6 months describe how awful it was. I can’t see me flying again
We ended up in Innsbruck which was gorgeous - will definitely go again. Did a back of a fag packet calculation for how much it would cost to fly there on holiday - including airport parking - and it came out about the same as going by train.
The internet makes it all so easy. I’ve really enjoyed using the various train apps and plotting journeys across Europe.

Alex321

Veteran
Only works if your home is on a convenient train line.

And the airport you want to use has a train station.

My two closest airports are Cardiff and Bristol, and neither have rail connections.

Cardiff is close enough we could use a taxi, but has reasonable priced parking 2 minutes walk from the terminal, so not much point. There is no other airport it would be rational for us to use public transport. Heathrow might be feasible, though I think the cost of the train plus taxi to our nearest station might be more than driving plus parking.

Alex321

Veteran
Or use bus to get to airport

Even to Cardiff airport, that would be an hour and 17 minutes, with a change of bus en route. And a longer walk to the village bus stop than from the car park to the terminal.

It is about 15-20 minutes drive, at most. If I was travelling with just hand luggage, that I could put in a rucksack, I could cycle it in not much more half the time the bus would take.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Last time I used Manchester airport (about two months ago) on the return I thought I'd use the bus to get to my car (parked at in-laws). Turned up at the bus station, there was a bus due in about five minutes according to the timetable. Half an hour later it still hadn't turned up and I ended up getting a taxi.

Baldy

Über Member
Last time I used Manchester airport (about two months ago) on the return I thought I'd use the bus to get to my car (parked at in-laws). Turned up at the bus station, there was a bus due in about five minutes according to the timetable. Half an hour later it still hadn't turned up and I ended up getting a taxi.

Went to the USA a month back, bus to Stirling waited ten minutes. Stirling to Glasgow, waited fifteen minutes. Glasgow to the airport waited two minutes. Used my bus pass so it cost me nothing. Coming back had similar waits.

The flight out didn't go as smoothly, but that's another story.

Top Bottom