Extortionate Parking rates at Manchester Airport

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It's a cost of flying. Simple. I don't see any reason to complain.

It's nothing to do with flying it's a parking charge

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Different possibly for the OP with two 80 year olds, but doesn't Manchester have a free bus service to the park and ride place, meaning you can get picked up for nothing. Not as convenient I know, but that's the deal.

That's what we used the last time, but not sure how you'd use that if you weren't parking there,

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's nothing to do with flying it's a parking charge

It's everything to do with flying. Why else would one be at an airport? This a charge for using a public facility owned by northwest MBCs. Why should those who don't use the parking fund those who do?

Pick-up can be booked for £6 for 30 minutes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just arrange to meet there. you drive in, perhaps wait a bit, collect them and drive out.

Last time we went you could only enter if you had a booking, they use ANPR as you enter, if you're not booked in the barrier won't open, I understand the theory but not sure with 2x 80 year olds how it would work.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It's everything to do with flying. Why else would one be at an airport?
I wasn't flying I was parking at no point did my feet leave the ground until I go back in the car

Brandane

Legendary Member
As someone whose town and several surrounding roads are blighted by traffic for Manchester airport, my sympathy is extremely limited. The more expensive it is to drive there, the better.

Were you forced to live so close to a major airport? It sounds similar to the people who buy a house across from a pub, then complain about the noise.

As for your theory that making driving (in this case to the airport) more expensive will somehow reduce traffic; how has that worked since the near doubling of the price of petrol? No, I haven't noticed much difference either.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Were you forced to live so close to a major airport? It sounds similar to the people who buy a house across from a pub, then complain about the noise.

As for your theory that making driving (in this case to the airport) more expensive will somehow reduce traffic; how has that worked since the near doubling of the price of petrol? No, I haven't noticed much difference either.

Excessive noise from a pub is reasonable to complain about, surely?

Petrol is a small proportion of motoring costs; indeed a key issue with how motoring is funded is that the marginal cost of extra miles or trips is very small compared to the sunk costs of depreciation, insurance etc.

Your theory that costs have no impact on demand is... ...interesting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Were you forced to live so close to a major airport?

When we moved into our house nearly 40 years ago RAF Finningley was slowly being mothballed & closed some 10 years later, we would occasionally see Vulcans coming in but they stayed away from the towns & villages where possible.

Now we have Doncaster Sheffield airport we didn't ask for it, we don't use it but now have huge great NOISY aircraft flying directly over the house multiple times a day.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Airport authorities aren't in the business of saving the planet whatever their publicity and public relations people may say. When presented with the opportunity to milk a more or less captive market who either can't or won't stop using their cars why should we be surprised when they do just that?

The concept of public service has been eroded to the extent that shameless profiteering is everywhere. I can't enlarge on that without being redirected to NACA but it seems to be accepted if not positively encouraged. Manchester airport is particularly bad. I remember being surprised when coming through Heathrow a few years back that the trolleys were free to use when Manchester had been charging for them for years. I expect that they're all playing catch up now.

Top Bottom