Extra caution with slimmer tyres...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I currently have 28mm Spesh Armadillo ACs on my bike. Was thinking of changing down to 23mm tyres (possibly All-condition Pro's or Scwhalbe Marathon Plus). Do I need to be extra careful on wet surfaces/manhole covers etc when riding on the slimmer tyres? Will the difference (in terms of handling) be noticeable? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, maybe this should've gone in know-how section. Oops.

Tetedelacourse

This (mine) is a meaningless post as I've never had 28s. I ride 23s and I'm quite confident in them. I'm sure you'd forget in no time that you had thinned down.

Shaun

Founder
I slimmed down from 28 to 23 recently when I upgraded my wheelset. (23mm Spesh Armadillos)

I took it steady on them to start with as I was similarly worried about looser handling, but bomb along quite happily now and don't really notice any difference.

I haven't had many wet days with them though, so I'll likely be a bit dainty with them to start with when the damp of autumn kicks in.

HTH,
Shaun ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
I know that the pro's are better bike handlers than most of us, but they seem to get up to some fairly good speeds and not come to grief very often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfablue

I have All Condition Pro folders (26x1) and they are superb - I don't believe there is less grip with narrower tyres (infact the converse it true). Aquaplaning is impossible on a narrow slick tyre unless you exceed 100mph or more (see Sheldon Brown). Turning whilst going over wet metal will catch you out, but again this is just as likley on wider tyres.

RedBike

Armadillos have appalling wet weather grip. You'll probably find just about anything is an improvement over them!

I assume you're swapping to 23's to get a lighter faster tyre? If you can comprimise on the puncture protection slightly there are several quicker/lighter tyres on the market than the Marathon plus .

alfablue

RedBike said:
Armadillos have appalling wet weather grip. You'll probably find just about anything is an improvement over them!

I assume you're swapping to 23's to get a lighter faster tyre? If you can comprimise on the puncture protection slightly there are several quicker/lighter tyres on the market than the Marathon plus .

I think there are a few models labeled Armadillo (its the internal protection rather than the specific tyre tread). Specialized also do Flak Jacket puncture protection. Anyway All Condition Pro's grip fine in the wet. There are definitely lighter faster tyres than the MArathon Plusses but they offer ultimate puncture protection. I would just steer clear of Conti's

Top Bottom