Extra Electrical Sockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the recent addition of my Wattbike - plans for bedroom to double up as a pain cave have gone into overdrive !

I called an electrician out with a view to have some electrical sockets in m y bedroom - unfortunately when he arrived he informed me this was quite a big job as floor boards etc would have to come up - he went away to do a quote - but I suspect he won't return.

Questions

- Based on the information provided was he correct ?

- I do have some electrical sockets in the bedroom - is there a neat way of running extensions of these so that I have power in the right areas of the bedroom - I don't really want wires trailing everywhere - any clever gadgets or gizmos out there ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It doesn't sound unreasonable to be honest. Putting in a socket is easy, but the hard part is finding the nearest spur to take the power from i.e. wiring your new socket from another outlet. It can be done behind a stud wall but this also throws up problems as you might have to travel horizontally through several vertical bits of timber, which means removing plasterboard. You can go up through the ceiling if you have loft access but this means either an unsightly wire, or trying to do that behind plasterboard and up which is tricky.

So yes, under the floor would be easiest. It's not always a small job if you haven't got other outlets nearby. I also don't know (technically) if you can just feed off an existing outlet or if you have to go from a main spur ??

Unless you have a cold bedroom - I'd not want to exercise in there. Is there a cooler place you can put the bike - even in my garage i have two fans on for my sessions and a rubber mat to get the sweat drops.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
any clever gadgets or gizmos out there ?

not that I know of. In the past I've run extensions along a wall and they look neat (held level and straight with cable clips), but you still see the cable. Other option is to run it behind a skirting board which has a recess on the rear so it doesn't pinch your wire. Or run your wire along the wall and box it in with some kind of conduit and then paint that to merge in with current decor

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
It doesn't sound unreasonable to be honest. Putting in a socket is easy, but the hard part is finding the nearest spur to take the power from i.e. wiring your new socket from another outlet. It can be done behind a stud wall but this also throws up problems as you might have to travel horizontally through several vertical bits of timber, which means removing plasterboard. You can go up through the ceiling if you have loft access but this means either an unsightly wire, or trying to do that behind plasterboard and up which is tricky.

So yes, under the floor would be easiest. It's not always a small job if you haven't got other outlets nearby. I also don't know (technically) if you can just feed off an existing outlet or if you have to go from a main spur ??

Yes what he was saying did make sense - and I don't mind paying. I just lose patience with tradesmen and there breaking down vans, brothers having heart attacks and endless other excuses - As I say I don't think he will come back.

A crude solution would be just to run a extension cable from existing sockets - I just wonder if there was a neat way of doing this - something running along the skirting sockets.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What about doubling up on your existing sockets? Would that help you? Are they surface or box mounted? Plasterboard or brick walls?
I think there may even be a triple available?

Dolorous Edd

Surely you can use your efforts on the Wattbike to generate - Watts - to power itself?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
With the recent addition of my Wattbike - plans for bedroom to double up as a pain cave have gone into overdrive !

I called an electrician out with a view to have some electrical sockets in m y bedroom - unfortunately when he arrived he informed me this was quite a big job as floor boards etc would have to come up - he went away to do a quote - but I suspect he won't return.

Questions

- Based on the information provided was he correct ?

- I do have some electrical sockets in the bedroom - is there a neat way of running extensions of these so that I have power in the right areas of the bedroom - I don't really want wires trailing everywhere - any clever gadgets or gizmos out there ?

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/networ...rtical-rack-pdu-18m-007767-5055383477678.html

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What about doubling up on your existing sockets? Would that help you? Are they surface or box mounted? Plasterboard or brick walls?
I think there may even be a triple available?

No they are too far away from where I want the flatscreen and TV to go.

Phoned a couple more sparkys today - so hopefully get a quote or two (or more likely tales of broken down vans, and brothers having heart attacks !)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
You can 'daisy chain' from a socket easily enough. Simplest and most cost effective is plastic trunking fixed above or on skirting board before running cable the affix a double socket at the other end on the wall.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
419EM1MST6L._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is a great guide to what is involved. You will probably have to pick up a second-hand copy (should be readily available on eBay, Amazon etc) as I think a lot of what is covered is no longer legal to carry out on a DIY basis. However, as a reference to de-mystify tradesmen's quotes it is absolutely excellent.

stephec

Legendary Member
Sounds like he can't be bothered doing the job, I had something similar done in a bedroom, it took the electrician about three hours with me helping him move the bed and lift the carpet.

Top Bottom