Extra Electrical Sockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
The electrician will need to check if he can create a spur from an existing socket or he will need to extend the ring main.

a simple solution is to use an extension multigang socket (go for one with RCD protection) and run the cable from an existing socket in trunking (you can get curved and/or coloured) that look more decorative rather than industrial.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Sounds like he can't be bothered doing the job, I had something similar done in a bedroom, it took the electrician about three hours with me helping him move the bed and lift the carpet.

Its not just him ! - I have 4 people saying they will come or get back to me - then they just go AWOL !

I have used skirtng boards like this in the past
1678110184285.png

Not cheap , I used it as I had concrete floor and socket far away.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...TVvGIaHMkFWEiZDy_womYfBf0OCh9xgxoCeQsQAvD_BwE

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can't run a spur from a spur any more, and cheapskate builders have normally used spurs all over the place, so you can't often find a socket on the ring to tap into.

gbb

Legendary Member
Running an extension round the skirting is the easy answer, no need for any electricians etc, cheap as chips...but visually less than perfect obviously. Its what I did in a bedroom. Truth is, as with all / most DIY projects of mine, the imperfections soon stop being noticed and you just get used to it visually.

Softlips

Regular
Are there any sockets on the wall adjacent to the bedroom? I assume not or a spurr could be taken from that through the wall.

presta

Guru
With any electrical work, the majority of the work is in gaining access and making good, not the wiring itself, and that varies wildly with each situation.
I also don't know (technically) if you can just feed off an existing outlet or if you have to go from a main spur ??
You can run a spur off any socket on the ring, or break in elsewhere with a junction box.....
You can 'daisy chain' from a socket easily enough.
... but you can't run a spur off an existing spur. As I recall, you're not allowed more sockets on spurs than there are on the ring, either.
You can't run a spur from a spur any more
I don't think you ever could, at least not since I first started doing wiring in the 1960s.

If you're taking the floor up anyway, it's not really any extra work to double the cable and include the new socket(s) on the ring, then they're available for connecting spurs at any time in the future.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We have this problem in our living and dining rooms and living in a stone built cottage means adding extra sockets would create making good issues. In one room I ran the cable along the top of the skirting and in the other on the bottom. Buy individually switched plug boards so each item can be turned rather than all on or off.

As others suggest simply run an extension cable to where you need power. It's quick, cheap and easy and if you take care will easily "blend" in.

You can hide the messy plug board in a box like this.

Screenshot_20230307_025422_Chrome.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
You don't always have to lift floorboards. My electrician has a hole cutter that also creates a rebate to allow steel plate to go over the hole when finished. The plate being flush to the boards. Hole diameter around 150mm. He has wired in all my awkward positions with this method.

Also if you're walls are partition then cutting a small section of plasterboard out allows horizontal cabling

CXRAndy

Guru
Its not just him ! - I have 4 people saying they will come or get back to me - then they just go AWOL !

Do it yourself, if it's just a few points. The most awkward bit is clearing the room and lifting a few boards. Once you know the direction of floor joists it's straight forward.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Bump.
So 1 bedroom decoration, carpet, new chest of drawers (how much ???????) I'm almost there.!!!!

But I have feckin cables everywhere !!! - and I don't have an electric fan yet!!!!!. I am wondering whether I could combine some of the electrical devices via a junction box. I have done this in the past - but these devices already plug into an extension 4 gang thingy ....... So I would I be doing the ill advised daisy chaining ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have to daisy chain in my garage. Only for a garage door motor and led strip light. How much draw will you have on it? Fan would be ok and maybe a laptop but I wouldn't run much more. Saying that I've run lights and power tools off mine, all at the same time, no issues but I don't think it's "safe"

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have to daisy chain in my garage. Only for a garage door motor and led strip light. How much draw will you have on it? Fan would be ok and maybe a laptop but I wouldn't run much more. Saying that I've run lights and power tools off mine, all at the same time, no issues but I don't think it's "safe"

I was thinking of the apple TV box, and monitor + maybe the wattbike itself ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I was thinking of the apple TV box, and monitor + maybe the wattbike itself ?

If the bike is under 700 watts ish then I'd say ok. But might be worth googling it. If you've got a modern consumer unit then worst case it'll trip. Think it's more dangerous when there's heavy load and/or left on all the time when you go out.

Top Bottom