Extreme commuters wanted for a National Paper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ChrisKH and John - with you both there....

More cash usually equals more stress and hours...no thanks (well not any longer) - and less time to do the things you want to do.... I'd rather be skint and healthy, than rich and fat due to work.

It's a very un-balanced view, but would obviously be of an interest why Mr 'can afford a very nice BMW' rides a bike to work instead.

ChrisKH

Guru
fossyant said:
ChrisKH and John - with you both there....

More cash usually equals more stress and hours...no thanks (well not any longer) - and less time to do the things you want to do.... I'd rather be skint and healthy, than rich and fat due to work.

It's a very un-balanced view, but would obviously be of an interest why Mr 'can afford a very nice BMW' rides a bike to work instead.

Or Mr 'can afford a very nice BMW' and also rides a bike. Shock horror.

bonj2

ChrisKH said:
It would be unusual to find the two (ie high earner with high mileage) since by and large the more the job earns the more hours it consumes and the more it eats into your mileage.

John the Monkey said:
Whilst I appreciate that newspapers have no remit to promote cycling, presenting a balanced view of it (more about people doing three to five miles each way on modestly priced bikes) would make far more impact on congestion etc than pieces like this...

That's the point. Their remit isn't to promote cycling for the benefits it has on the individual or the wider world, their remit is to produce newspapers that will sell, and that requires them to produce stories that people will want to read, so they need to pique people's curiosity. Don't be at all surprised or dismayed that they aren't interested in "having an impact on congestion".
The very fact that it would be unusual to find such people means they are quite rare, and thus are the sort who people will want to read about. Who's interested in a story about Joe Bloggs who cycles 7 miles each way on through northampton to his £18k job as an accounts manager for a consultancy firm?

bonj2

beanzontoast said:
Yep - sounds a really yawn-inducing article to me... :angry:

I did email them to say I'll do it, despite not fitting the £50k criteria, and asked to send me a link to the article when they'd written it.. the really laughable thing is they probably won't get anybody that fits their criteria so will probaby make it up.

Top Bottom