Eye Screning - should I ride to it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I'm having my eyes photographed later this morning as part of diabetic screening tests.

I'm barred from driving for 6 hours afterwards, because of poor focusing after the dilation drops have been used. Based on past experience I should have reasonable iris (light/ dark) control about half an hour after I leave.

I reckon I should be able to ride my bike OK half to one hour after the visit is finished. The venue is about 10 miles from home.

Anyone else had this sort of test and ridden to it? I'd be interested in opinions, which if negative I'll ignore and ride there anyway.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you're not fit to drive then you're not fit to ride.

Why take such a risk with your life and potentially someone else's?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
No dont drive, I have had this done and you will not be able to see properly due to the drops dialating your pupils also you might want to take sunglasses with you if you have them and get a taxi home.

When I had it done I had to sit in a dark room for 6 hours while it wore off as the sun was bright outside and I couldnt see a thing.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm barred from driving for 6 hours afterwards, because of poor focusing after the dilation drops have been used.
It's nothing to do with focusing, if you want to be picky. The drops stop you reducing iris diameter, so you have to cope with bright images by looking away or closing your eyes - a reflex action which you can't control. Visual acuity isn't affected.

Anyone else had this sort of test and ridden to it? I'd be interested in opinions, which if negative I'll ignore and ride there anyway.
That's the spirit, David.

Hope it is an overcast day, put some strong shades on and you should be fine. Well, you might be fine. If the local paper say's you've gone under a bus, I'll ignore it.
wink.gif

potsy

Rambler
If you really are determined to ride anyway then sunglasses are a must,even if it's cloudy and wet you'll just look a bit strange (no change there then)
biggrin.gif

I don't know whether procedures have changed at all since my experience - which was way back in the 1950s: my first eye test. I was administered two small drops of atropine. Not that there was anything wrong with my eyes other than myopia - it was just standard procedure. The drug dilated my pupils at once, the dilation lasted at least 24 hours, in the glare I could not keep my eyes open nor see anything, I had to take a day or two off school and shut myself in a darkened room.

But that was over 50 years ago. Maybe the drugs used are different now!

I would suggest: take heavily darkened shades (possibly the optician will lend you something); if you take the bike be prepared to leave it somewhere secure where you can recover it a day later, if you're forced to go home by taxi. Other than that I don't know.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Worked out OK. I've always had a lift to & from these in the past but not available today.

Even with my darkest sunglasses on it was a bit bright coming back, had to chose a bright sunny day, didn't I?!

Wrote the post to see if anyone else had ridden after these drops, but seems not. The effect of the drops seems to have worn off faster than in the past, don't know if it's the exercise that's helped.

Don't think it's life threatening BSRU, just needs more care and slower speeds than usual. Apart from it being illegal I don't think I'd want to drive while the drops were active though.

Top Bottom