Eye Tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Will I look like an "idiot mother" if I take my son for an eye test?

He peers very close to the page but says he can see it fine with his head back...

He moves closer & closer to the TV...

He has no headaches or any other stuffs....

BUT

Everyone in our family wears glasses and he was tested at school a couple of years ago but not been tested since...

So what is the score these days will the optician tsk and hmpf at me for wasting his time if he does not need glasses?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Of course you wont look like an idiot.
Just take him.

Maz

Guru
So what is the score these days will the optician tsk and hmpf at me for wasting his time if he does not need glasses?
No, the optician won't do that.
You need to get your son's eyes tested! Mine kids go every year.

We've just had Miss Smoo's eyes tested and she does need glasses, only a mild prescription mind, but glasses none the less.

What I would say is ask if they use drops. The first test Miss Smoo had done they didn't, and apparently childrens eyes can accomodate more than a an adult, (nope, me neither :wacko:, but that's what they say).

Anyhoo, upshot was after test one without drops they said her eyes were fine, but she continued to complain about things looking far away so Mrs Smoo arranged to take her back. This time they used drops and lo and behold she now needs specs!

I wasn't amused to say the least when I found this out and rang my opticians, (Vision Express), to ask their advice, (we couldn't get an appointment quickly with them at first), but they said that if the other opticians have now used drops the test will be correct. FYI they use drops straight away on children so I wish we'd waited and taken her there TBH.

So don't worry, get him booked in a.s.a.p. :thumbsup:

PS: FWIW eye test one was carried out at a major street chain of opticians as well.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
He is all booked in for Wednesday at the decent optician so we shall add that "test" to the annual list of "things wot they used to do at school every year and now don't"

Should be interesting to see how they test User76 at 3 ^_^

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My kids HATE it when I take them for an eye test. But only because I always do the 'miss the door on the way in and walk into the wall beside it because I'm pretending to be short-sighted' gag.

colly

Re member eR
My kids HATE it when I take them for an eye test. But only because I always do the 'miss the door on the way in and walk into the wall beside it because I'm pretending to be short-sighted' gag.
Yes. My kids found me embarrassing too. :biggrin:

Sandra6

Veteran
It's recommended that children have their eyes tested regularly from age 3. Mine go yearly, or 2 yearly for the ones who don't wear glasses.
With younger children they use picture books and shapes.
I've never experienced an eye test with drops - nor have the children.

Top Bottom