Eye wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

rickangus said:
I'm not in the market for the stupidly priced items

mickle said:
Eye wear Oakley M frames.

Well you read the OP's question didn't you mickle! :smile:

yello said:
Well you read the OP's question didn't you mickle! ;)

:blush: ..yes.. but...well.. you know, I just think if you can't afford Oakleys you should just squint a bit. ScrewFix £1.99 specials!?!? Please god no!

Actually the Madison uns are ok for cheapskates mainly because they are a blatant Oakley Blade clone. When installing a fresh lense in Madison frames locate the sides first before popping the middle in. When removing a lense pull it away from the centre first.

Must try harder not to be such a label queen.:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
cycle glasses are shaped to be optically correct so your peripheral vision is good, safety glasses are very liable to be no such thing

Blue

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
the stupidly priced ones do also offer protection when hit by flying stones and are often shatter proof

How likely is one to get hit in the eye by a flying stone?

yello

One doesn't need to pay £80 for cycling glasses... unless of course one wants to. And I have no problem with that.

Cheap for me is a necessity because I am always loosing the damned things!

I personally wouldn't opt for safety glasses for exactly the reason tynon points out; they're not designed with peripheral vision in mind.

Chris James

Über Member
yello said:
I personally wouldn't opt for safety glasses for exactly the reason tynon points out; they're not designed with peripheral vision in mind.

I suspect cycling glasses are designed to look cool rather than be optimum for peripheral vision. In any case mnay safety glasses have exactly the same profile as cycling glasses (including my Bolle ones).

Not all safety glasses are spoddy efforts with huge side panels.

Tynan

Veteran
and I doubt any of them are designed for proper peripheral vision, why would they be

cycling glasses certainly should be, I find it hard to believe that cool is put before vision

ChrisKH

Guru
I have a pair of the safety glasses shown by gary d and the peripheral vision is excellent, in fact better than more expensive cycling glasses I have had. They wrap round my head perfectly. Being Bolle, the smoked ones are not just tinted but have the same UVB and UVA blockage as mainstream sunglasses for outdoor use in Europe. Someone doubted the latter qualification the time I recommended a pair on C+ but I went and looked at the technical information (I can't recall the % now) and compared with a pair of Oakleys and they were the same.

Adding 'cycling' to 'glasses' just means the supplier can increase their profit margin some of the times. Yes the finish isn't as brilliant as a £100-£200 pair of Oakleys but then I don't expect it to be. On the plus side, if i lose them or damage them badly I can replace them without too much cash outlay.

Tynan

Veteran
seen them now, they look like cycle glasses, not sure I'd be wearing them for anything involving nails and whatever

cheap as too

yello

Chris James said:
I suspect cycling glasses are designed to look cool rather than be optimum for peripheral vision.

I think it's an 'as well' as opposed to "rather than". And there's nothing wrong with wanting to look cool!

I am sure there are safety glasses with good (excellent even) peripheral vision. I guess it really depends on the application but I'd suspect there are things ahead of 'peripheral vision' on the designers priority list for safety glasses though. Cycling glasses are designed for the purpose; that's why I personally would stick with them. But each to their own, no big ting.

U

User482

I use clear Madison D'arcs for mtbing - they do the job absolutely fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm using the Bolle safety glasses as well - got given a pair at work about 18 months ago - never used them as I need 'sighted glasses'.

Bought some optical sports glasses from tesco, the inserts were fine, but the optical quality of the galsses was rubbish and the coating came off.

Spied the Bolle's on the table top - hmm wonder if my inserts will fit - bingo they did - so ordered some clear and smoke - about £6 each. As mentioned they are fully UV rated and are used on sites where welding is done - i.e. should be pretty strong.

I use these all the time, having replaced my old preseciption Bolle Edge's as these were starting to wear out.

Before I became short sighted, I wore M-Frames - blooming expensive, and went through 2 frames as they just fell appart - was the early model though.

Top Bottom